Search the archive
IHBC’S NewsBlogs usually only summarise third party reports. Links to other sites may not be active so you may need to contact the host site for the original text.
Unless made explicit, IHBC NewsBlogs are not IHBC endorsements.
- IHBC’s Feedback Report for #IHBCAberdeen2022 School and MarketPlace: 90%+ all round; ‘Topical, informative, & inspiring…’ 12/08/2022
- IHBC welcomes Vic Soc’s Welsh Heritage Day, Cardiff 3/09, with Griff and more: How to help save our… architectural heritage 12/08/2022
- REMEMBER: IHBC’s Student Award closes 31/08 – £500 + free 2023 School place for #IHBCSwansea2023! 12/08/2022
- IHBC Signpost: BSI introduces best practice guidance standards – The built environment’s journey to net zero 12/08/2022
- IHBC’s HESPR pick from £900K of recent works: Heritage body seeks data analysis, closing 12/09, valued to £15K 12/08/2022
- IHBC features ‘Heritage from the (construction awards) doorstep’: Conversion of Kirkcaldy LB wins 3 environmental awards 12/08/2022
- Help ‘Shape the Future Work’ of the Heritage Fund: Heritage sector workers survey open to 5/09 12/08/2022
- Liverpool Council sets out tall buildings policy 12/08/2022
- Latest housing data: 1.9M households affected by overheating 12/08/2022
- Funding for 57 new projects across England for ‘our nation’s working-class heritage’: HE’s ‘Everyday Heritage Grants’ 12/08/2022
- RTPI research project on UK & Ireland Rural Planning in the 2020s published 12/08/2022
- Designers unite to meet climate challenges through £25m fund 12/08/2022
- National Trust reveals new plans for fire ravaged Clandon Park: Unique ‘X-ray’ view of how a country house is made 12/08/2022
- IHBC’s response to Parliamentary Committee on Levelling-Up and Regeneration Bill: Without capacity, ‘little realistic prospect’ of delivery 09/08/2022
- REMINDER: IHBC Wales Branch FREE CPD + reception: Looking to #IHBCSwansea2023 and #IHBC25 – 5/09 09/08/2022
- REMINDER: IHBC’s Gus Astley Student Award closes 31/08 – £500 + free 2023 School place for #IHBCSwansea2023! 09/08/2022
- IHBC’s HESPR ‘Special Interest News’: Designing Buildings on Branch & volunteer support for 25th Anniversary (#IHBC25) initiatives 09/08/2022
- IHBC features ‘Heritage from the (LG) doorstep’: LocalGov highlights historic docklands receiving £233m for infrastructure 09/08/2022
- AHF Wales Funding Announcement 2022-23 09/08/2022
- SAVE crowdfunds for M&S public inquiry objections 09/08/2022
- Heritage Fund: £2M to help heritage sector build back after the pandemic 09/08/2022
- Hammersmith Bridge wrapped in foil during heatwave 09/08/2022
- IHBC Toolbox latest Guidance Note: Using S.19 on amendments to LBC 05/08/2022
- IHBC Wales Branch FREE CPD + reception: Looking to #IHBCSwansea2023 and #IHBC25 – 5/09 05/08/2022
- REMINDER: IHBC’s Gus Astley Student Award closes 31/08 – £500 + free 2023 School place for #IHBCSwansea2023! 05/08/2022
Author Archives: IHBC NewsBlog
Ramblers study reveals over 49,000+ miles of ‘lost’ historic paths – in danger of disappearing forever!
The ‘Don’t Lose Your Way campaign’ from Ramblers at the Heart of Walking (Ramblers) has found 49,138 miles of rights of way missing from the definitive map in England and Wales, which it is now racing to save by 2026, … Continue reading
England’s Ministry of Housing, Communities & Local Government (MHCLG) has issued a Consultation on proposed amendments to the Architects Act 1997. image: Open Government Licence v3.0
Historic Environment Scotland (HES) has launched a consultation to help shape it’s Equality Outcomes for 2021-25, which closes on 30 November.
The Chartered Institute of Building’s (CIOB) ‘Understanding Building Conservation’ course and ‘Building Conservation Certification Scheme’ have received official endorsement from English Heritage.
Natural England’s vision for the next five years seeks to help all children, wherever they live, to enjoy the benefits of a thriving natural environment. image: for illustration purposes only
Allchurches Trust has launched an advice and resources hub to support churches, from project planning and publicity to impact measurement and connecting with young people, while the hub also features Allchurches’ latest research. image: for illustration purposes only
The purpose of the new All-Party Parliamentary Group for Museums (APPG) chaired by Chris Skidmore, Conservative MP for Kingswood is to highlight and promote the interests of museums across the UK.
The Peter Sowerby Foundation has opened a £1.4m fund for charities developing or adapting their services in response to the coronavirus crisis. image: for illustration purposes only
IHBC formally issues 2020 AGM details for 3 December: Programme from 5.30pm – Griff Rhys Jones, School updates etc. – voting from 6pm (IHBC members only; BOOKING ESSENTIAL)
The IHBC has issued notices and exclusive invitations to all categories of IHBC members for the 2020 AGM – on 3 December, 2020 – including a free CPD programme from 5.30pm with filmed welcomes and updates from Griff Rhys Jones … Continue reading
IHBC responds to England’s Planning for the Future White Paper: Build on planning’s many strengths; improve by simplification, not redesign
The IHBC has submitted its comprehensive response to England’s Planning for the Future White Paper, highlighting that the planning system may need reform and simplification but not complete redesign, and that a more dynamic system for local plans, involving frequent … Continue reading
IHBC’s HESPR pick this week from £564K+ costed works: call for architectural services linked to affordable homes in Wales, closing 16/11, valued £25-50K
The IHBC’s heritage business register HESPR – our Historic Environment Service Providers Recognition quality assurance scheme for heritage services working to the IHBC’s standards – emails its members weekly ‘News and Tender Alerts’, and the IHBC Director’s top pick this … Continue reading
Addiscombe residents are preparing themselves for a renewed battle to save an historic, landmark house in their neighbourhood after the council’s planning department ‘first refused planning permission to the building’s owners to convert the house into flats, and today refused … Continue reading
Two four-storey town houses worth millions of pounds have collapsed in west London while being redeveloped.
Historic Environment Scotland (HES) has published the latest results of a follow up survey scoping the impacts of COVID-19 on the country’s historic environment sector.
Jenny Green, Director for Northern Ireland at The Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE), has explored a new report by the Ministerial Advisory Panel on Infrastructure, on which she sits.
The House of Commons Housing, Communities and Local Government Committee has asked the public to take part in a survey on the planning system in England and the government’s proposed reforms to it, which is open until midnight Wednesday 11 … Continue reading
Culture x Climate 2020 is a virtual global forum for arts, culture and heritage-based climate action running to the end of November 2020.
West Dean College of Arts & Conservation is looking for an artist-maker to be its Maker-in-Residence for 2021, with artists with any skills considered, including stone working, carving and lettercutting, and with a closing date of 29 November. image: West … Continue reading
There is nothing John Bell likes more than a drive in the countryside, especially on the rural roads of Wales and it is there he came across AA Box 161 – a reminder of decades past when mobile phones and … Continue reading
IHBC 2020 Student Awards judge announced: SPAB Director Matthew Slocombe to select Gus Astley Award winner for £500 (& Brighton 2021)!
Matthew Slocombe, director of the SPAB (Society for the Protection of Ancient Building) will serve as the guest judge of the submissions to the 2020 IHBC Gus Astley Student Award, with winners receiving certificates and cash prizes (up to £500) … Continue reading
The Church of Ireland Gazette has featured the IHBC’s Northern Ireland (NI) Branch initiative to create what the Gazette has called the ‘new ‘go-to’ guide for property care’: Care for your Church and Church Property, co-authored by IHBC NI Branch … Continue reading
The IHBC is co-sponsoring the ‘Future Skills for Traditional Buildings’ virtual conference from the Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB) on 5 November, with speakers to include IHBC members Rory Cullen and John Edwards, and with IHBC officers hosting a digital … Continue reading
IHBC’s HESPR ‘Special Interest Sector News’ pick of the week: LI’s international ideas competition, for after COVID-19
The IHBC’s heritage business register HESPR – our Historic Environment Service Providers Recognition quality assurance scheme for heritage services – emails members weekly ‘News and Tender Alerts’, with notices from across the development sector’s publications, and this week features the … Continue reading
IHBC features ‘Heritage from the doorstep’: Shirehall will be sold for more money due to non-listed status, argues council leader
Shirehall’s non-listed building status will mean it will be worth more money when the site is sold, Shropshire Council’s leader has said. By Mike White, CC BY-SA 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=13951995
BRE Trust publishes report ‘100 Years of Council Housing’ to mark the 100 anniversary of the 1919 housing and Town Planning Act
BRE has published ‘100 Years of Council Housing’ to celebrate the centenary of the 1919 Housing and Town Planning Act, which introduced the concept of ‘council housing’ and also led to the creation of the Building Research Station (now BRE) … Continue reading