Search the archive
IHBC’S NewsBlogs usually only summarise third party reports. Links to other sites may not be active so you may need to contact the host site for the original text.
Unless made explicit, IHBC NewsBlogs are not IHBC endorsements.
- 2021 School delegate survey issued: Top marks for relevance (98.2%), CPD support (83.64%), & Friday (c.94%) 19/10/2021
- IHBC Communications and Outreach Strategy 2021-24 now online 19/10/2021
- IHBC’s HESPR ‘Special Interest Sector News’ pick: Dezeen on RIBA ‘Decarbonising’ report 19/10/2021
- IHBC features ‘Heritage from the doorstep’: Inside the abandoned American cottage that overlooks a North Wales village 19/10/2021
- Welsh Government’s plan to tackle town centre regeneration 19/10/2021
- AHF: We are seeking two new trustees! 19/10/2021
- THA announces Pam Alexander OBE as new Chair 19/10/2021
- HSE: Who is responsible for the death of builders? 19/10/2021
- National Infrastructure Planning Reform Programme: stakeholder survey announced, closing 17/12 19/10/2021
- 30 years in the making: HE opens aerial photography project to the public 19/10/2021
- Support conservation as a climate solution: Volunteers and hosts for IHBC@COP26’s Zoom ‘Conservation Helpdesk+’ still welcome, with guidance now out 15/10/2021
- IHBC responds to Conservation Principles for North Ireland 15/10/2021
- IHBC’s web resource signpost: Quick links and guidance on joining, accreditation and career progress are only a click away! 15/10/2021
- IHBC’s HESPR pick from £43K+ works this week: Charity seeks architect for GII refurb, valued £43K, closing 22/10 15/10/2021
- IHBC features ‘Heritage from the doorstep’: Gateway to historic town centre re-opened following improvement works, as what ‘WAS’ becomes ‘HAZ’ 15/10/2021
- ARB on ‘Modernising architectural education and training’ 15/10/2021
- Department for Levelling Up etc. (DLUHC) on ‘Our Governance’ and Board 15/10/2021
- RICS sets new standards of conduct 15/10/2021
- Scotland’s new Local Place Plans regulations laid in Parliament 15/10/2021
- Elizabeth Tower conservation set to complete in 2022 15/10/2021
- Serious about your staffing plans or career? Stay ahead with ‘IHBC Jobs etc.’, with posts ranging from conservation architects (x2) and Officers (x7+) and seeking Net Zero (HE), Listing (HE) and sustainability skills 12/10/2021
- New Context out, on ‘Conservation leadership by the people’: From Amenity Societies and Wentworth Woodhouse to Kurt Schwitters, Scotland’s Towns, Chester and more 12/10/2021
- Volunteer virtually with IHBC@COP26 on IHBC’s built and historic environment ‘Conservation Helpdesk+’, – because ‘Conserving our Places Conserves our Planet’ 12/10/2021
- IHBC CPD signpost: Gender-Responsive Public Procurement – Can public procurement help solve gender inequality? 12/10/2021
- IHBC’s HESPR ‘Special Interest Sector News’ pick: Dezeen on the ‘Conference of Trees at COP26’ 12/10/2021
Category Archives: IHBC NewsBlog
IHBC’s cross-disciplinary signpost ‘… From the factor’s doorstep’: Revised property factors’ code of conduct for Scotland
Fiona McLeod has provided Scottish Construction Now with a brief overview of the changes introduced by the Scottish Government’s revised code of conduct for property factors.
The IHBC’s heritage business register HESPR – our Historic Environment Service Providers Recognition quality assurance scheme for heritage services – emails members weekly ‘News and Tender Alerts’, and this week features Dezeen on ‘The Phoenix Garden: a green retreat in … Continue reading
IHBC features ‘Heritage from the doorstep’: Royal High School Edinburgh set to become ‘world-class centre for music’
The Royal High School Preservation Trust has put forward detailed proposals to the City of Edinburgh Council for the iconic Thomas Hamilton building on Calton Hill to be restored as a ‘world-class centre for music education and public performance.’, writes … Continue reading
The Marsh Charitable Trust (MCT) is the new name for the Marsh Christian Trust, lead partners in the IHBC Marsh Awards programme.
REMINDER – New IHBC ‘CPD Priority’ programme virtual event: Ian Hume on ‘Conservation Engineering’, 28-29 September, from £20 for members, with bursaries too!
A new on-line IHBC ‘CPD Priority programme’ event on ‘Conservation Engineering’ with Ian Hume is planned for 28-29 September, with fees from £20.
IHBC responds to suite of energy efficiency consultations as changes proposed to traditionally built homes ramp up: ECO4; PAS 2035 etc.
The IHBC has submitted responses to a suite of consultations important to the care of traditionally built homes, including on the Energy Company Obligation ECO4 and PAS 2035.
IHBC’s Research Signpost: BEIS calls for evidence to substantially reduce research bureaucracy, closing 01/10
The Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy (BEIS) has launched a call for evidence seeking views on ways to substantially reduce research bureaucracy, which aims to primarily benefit individuals and teams conducting research.
IHBC’s HESPR pick from £25M+ costed works this week: DC seeks consultant for town hall works, closing 29/09 and valued up to £100K
The IHBC’s heritage business register HESPR – our Historic Environment Service Providers Recognition quality assurance service – emails members weekly ‘News and Tender Alerts’, and the Director’s pick this week features the call from a District Council (DC) for a … Continue reading
The JC reports on ‘Grave concerns’ over repair issues at Brighton’s Middle Street Synagogue, ‘one of the most beautiful and significant in the UK’.
IHBC’s September CPD Circular now out: Accessible cross-sector support, with free sign up/events listings!
The new issue of the IHBC’s regular and free CPD Circular has been posted, offering members and our networks accessible and current information on learning opportunities and Continuing Professional Development (CPD), with free postings for anyone holding relevant events too!
IHBC’s CPD signpost: Why not add to DBW’s list of construction industry ‘traditions, superstitions, pseudoscience & obsolete scientific theories’
Members can add to the Designing Buildings Wiki (DBW) – host platform for the IHBC’s Conservation Wiki and the ‘construction industry knowledge base’ –list of construction industry traditions, superstitions, pseudoscience and obsolete scientific theories that members are encouraged to review, … Continue reading
In a special guest blog, Connor McNeill – Interim Churches Conservation Adviser at the Victorian Society – writes about how best to find solutions to the sometimes vexed issue of restoring or re-ordering a Victorian church. image: St Matthew, Edgeley … Continue reading
The IHBC’s heritage business register HESPR – our Historic Environment Service Providers Recognition quality assurance scheme for heritage services – emails members weekly ‘News and Tender Alerts’, and this week features ArchDaily on ‘Mallorca’s abandoned buildings’.
IHBC features ‘Heritage from the WHS’s doorstep’: Height reduced at Edinburgh concert venue with work poised to begin next year
Designs for Edinburgh’s first purpose-built music and performance venue in over one hundred years have been scaled back in height to avoid a potential legal battle with developers of the nearby St James Centre.
IHBC features ‘Heritage from the ‘Doors Open’ doorstep’ 3: England’s HODs – ‘England’s largest festival of history and culture!’…10-19/09
England’s Heritage Open Days (HODs) programme is ‘your chance to see hidden places and try out new experiences – all of which are FREE to explore.’
Serious about your staffing plans or career direction? Manage your risk while staying ahead with ‘IHBC Jobs etc.’ with posts from councils (7) to architects, surveyors & estate managers!
The IHBC regularly updates NewsBlog readers on the diverse career and employment opportunities advertised in our ‘IHBC Jobs etc.’ service, with recent posts showing a strong and rich diversity of employers and roles, so sign up for free alerts and … Continue reading
IHBC’s practice signpost: IHBC’s Green Panel convenor on the ‘1 hour project’ – linking students with their profession
IHBC’s Green Panel convenor Crispin Edwards explores how the ‘1 hour project’ links students and their profession.
Don’t forget: IHBC’s HESPR-linked service promotion is now even more accessible to clients when using our map-based search
IHBC members, colleagues and client bodies can now find the office locations of HESPR members – IHBC’s Historic Environment Service Provider Recognition (HESPR) scheme – using our new map-based facility. image: Google Maps
IHBC’s HESPR pick from £5.6M+ costed works this week: Council seeks ‘multi-disciplined company’ for repair and restoration, valued £20K, closing 17/09
The IHBC’s heritage business register HESPR – our Historic Environment Service Providers Recognition quality assurance service – emails members weekly ‘News and Tender Alerts’, and the Director’s pick this week features a Council’s call for a ‘multi-disciplined company’ for repair … Continue reading
IHBC features ‘Heritage from the ‘Doors Open’ doorstep’ 1:Heritage sites across Wales FREE this September
More than 150 of Wales’ historic sites, landmarks and hidden gems will offer visitors free entry, events or guided tours this September, as 2021 marks the return of Open Doors.
IHBC features ‘Heritage from the ‘Doors Open’ doorstep’ 2: Doors Open Days returns as Scotland ‘opens its doors’ in September
Led by the Scottish Civic Trust, Scotland’s ‘Doors Open’ programme means that September’s weekends will see hundreds of architectural gems, sites and other hidden treasures open their doors, throughout the month.
Century-old hardware has found a new life through lost-wax casting at the newly unveiled Stavros Niarchos Foundation Library.
Anyone seeking dedicated conservation practice services or advice now has easy access to the IHBC’s help on our Homepage.
Having helped complete the delivery of phase one of the new St James Quarter in Edinburgh, BDP has shared some insight into how it is designed with the movement of people in mind and delivers a real step change for … Continue reading
The IHBC’s heritage business register HESPR – our Historic Environment Service Providers Recognition quality assurance scheme for heritage services – emails members weekly ‘News and Tender Alerts’, and this week features Archdaily on The Stigma’ of Affordable Housing.