Search the archive
IHBC’S NewsBlogs usually only summarise third party reports. Links to other sites may not be active so you may need to contact the host site for the original text.
Unless made explicit, IHBC NewsBlogs are not IHBC endorsements.
- IHBC’s new CPD Circular School Edition update: Lord Kerslake welcomes; School sponsors MFL Affinity takes MarketPlace Stall, and much more! 16/06/2021
- ‘Single Seminar’ options at 17 June School @ £10+VAT: Asset management OR Retrofit OR 21st Century education & training OR Communities and Campaigning! 16/06/2021
- IHBC’s heritage from Design to Economics, from £30+VAT: Jan Gehl (Design) + Donovan Rypkema (Economics) + High Streets + Lottery + Local listing + Participation – Book now and ask questions early! 16/06/2021
- IHBC’s HESPR ‘Special Interest Sector News’ pick: News selection form IHBC virtual 2021 School MarketPlace Stallholder Designing Buildings Wiki 16/06/2021
- IHBC’s features ‘Heritage from the (construction) doorstep’: Video marks end of Inverness Townscape Heritage Project 16/06/2021
- RTPI announces launch of new network for politicians involved in planning 16/06/2021
- Design Council: Using design as a force for change 16/06/2021
- CITB on Levy Proposals and Consultation 16/06/2021
- BSI: New competence standards for work in buildings 16/06/2021
- Government urged to support creation of thousands of new green jobs in areas with greatest employment challenges 16/06/2021
- IHBC Signpost: Leonardo da Vinci Designs the Ideal City: See 3D Models of His Radical Design 16/06/2021
- Fancy a freebie at the IHBC’s Virtual School? #IHBCBrighton2021 or can’t attend live?Just ask the best question by 17/06 and get the fee back! 11/06/2021
- Connecting conservation across continents: Roundup by Rypkema & PlaceEconomics – from Reading Gaol to the ’21 Tulsa Race Massacre, linked at IHBC’s virtual 2021 School on 18/06! 11/06/2021
- Customised learning at IHBC’s School Heritage MarketPlace, 18/06: Tell our MarketPlace Stallholders what you want! 11/06/2021
- REMINDER: Single Seminar’ options at 17 June School #IHBCBrighton2021 @ £10+VAT: Asset management OR Retrofit OR 21st Century education & training OR Communities and Campaigning! 11/06/2021
- IHBC’s HESPR pick from £872.5K+ costed works this week: Park Authority seeks Walkover Surveys, valued from £1250 11/06/2021
- Demolition of ‘beautiful’ historic and protected cottage leads to prosecution of East Meon developer 11/06/2021
- Parliamentary report on England’s planning reforms: ‘Reconsider the three areas proposal’ and publish impact assessment on historic buildings and sites 11/06/2021
- AHF 2020/21 ‘Impact Report’ now out: To ‘evaluate our overarching impact’ 11/06/2021
- HES: New plan to promote equality, diversity and inclusion from IHBC School MarketPlace Stallholder 11/06/2021
- Now out: Biodiversity in new housing developments: creating wildlife-friendly communities 11/06/2021
- IHBC signpost Dave Stitt opinion piece via IHBC School MarketPlace Stallholder CIOB Academy: Six questions construction leaders should ask themselves about quality 11/06/2021
- #IHBCBrighton2021 welcomes more virtual ‘Heritage MarketPlace’ stalls and learning: Lottery, CIOB Academy, HE, HES, BEFS, ICON, YALE UP, IHBC’s CPP APPG, Energy Savers, DB Wiki, HTN, THA, Hirst & Murphy Associates – offering dedicated virtual sessions from casework, products and practice to BPNs, advocacy, funding priorities and more! 08/06/2021
- IHBC’s CPD Circular now out: 2021 School updates Cost-effective cross-sector support, with free sign up/events listings. 08/06/2021
- REMINDER: Single Seminar’ options at 17 June School #IHBCBrighton2021 @ £10+VAT: Asset management OR Retrofit OR 21st Century education & training OR Communities and Campaigning! 08/06/2021
Monthly Archives: April 2020
IHBC’s Gus Astley Student Awards 2020 closing date extended to 31 August: Win £500 and a free place on IHBC’s 2021 Brighton School – Simply submit your coursework online!
Due to demand from conservation courses, the closing date for the IHBC’s celebrated annual Gus Astley Student Award is extended to 31 August 2020, so if you have relevant coursework from history and theory to practice or enhancement, from ANY … Continue reading
New HE Ramsgate book with 30% reduction to IHBC SE Branch ’Ramsgate’ School delegates: ‘Ramsgate: The Town and its Seaside Heritage’
Historic England (HE) is offering a bonus to delegates at the South East (SE) Branch School in Ramsgate, last March, with a 30% reduction on its new history of the town, by architectural historian Geraint Franklin, who also spoke at … Continue reading
IHBC’s COVID-19 signpost 30: DCMS Committee Inquiry into ‘Impact of Covid-19 on DCMS sectors’ – Call extended to 19 June
Westminster’s DCMS Committee has launched an inquiry into the ‘Impact of Covid-19 on Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport’s [DCMS] sectors’, considering both the immediate and long-term impact that Covid-19 and the related social and financial measures are having … Continue reading
IHBC’s COVID-19 signpost 31: NI’s Department for Communities COVID-19 Stakeholder Update, from 20/04
Northern Ireland’s Department for Communities, Communications & Engagement Unit has issued the latest in its regular updates on key announcements from the Department during the COVID-19 pandemic.
IHBC’s COVID-19 signpost 32: CLC Statement on managing Payment and Contracts in these challenging times
An Open Letter from the Construction Leadership Council (CLC) supported by the Department of Business Enterprise and Industrial Strategy (DBEIS) and the Infrastructure Projects Authority (IPA) provides a statement on payments and contracts with cascading suggested to encourage ‘reasonable management … Continue reading
IHBC’s COVID-19 signpost 33: ‘Avoid using microwave to get faster internet’, from Ofcom, via the BBC
People should avoid using the microwave at the same time as their wi-fi, media regulator Ofcom has said, as part of advice to help improve internet speeds.
IHBC’s HESPR ‘Special Interest Sector News’ pick of the week, from the IHBC: PBCToday on construction site theft
The IHBC’s heritage business register HESPR – our Historic Environment Service Providers Recognition quality assurance scheme for heritage services working to the IHBC’s standards – emails members weekly ‘News and Tender Alerts’, including notices gleaned from across the development sector’s … Continue reading
IHBC’s ‘Conservation from the doorstep’: Campaign to save historic South Shields cinema designed by Sunderland architect
A campaign has been launched to save an historic cinema designed by a Sunderland architect from demolition, The Shields Gazette reports.
IHBC’s ‘Heritage from the (COVID-19) doorstep’: Thieves take advantage of lockdown to steal lead from All Saints church roof in Halsham
The Hull Daily Mail reports that police have appealed for witnesses after thieves stole lead from the roof of All Saints Church in Halsham near Hedon during the coronavirus lockdown.
HE’s new LPA project opportunity: Data supply & reconciliation between the National Record (NRHE) and HERs
Historic England (HE) is seeking proposals from local authorities, or partnerships led by a local authority, wishing to take part in the transfer and reconciliation of the terrestrial component of the National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) with their … Continue reading
Historic Environment Scotland (HES), is donating food products stocked across its sites to local community food banks and homeless charities.
A campaign to convert the Grade II-listed (GII) former ‘Reading Gaol’ prison, backed by Reading council and luminaries including Stephen Fry, has been rejected by the Ministry of Justice.
The CBA has announced that Neil Redfern will take the post of Executive Director of The Council for British Archaeology(CBA).
IHBC’s 2020 ‘Virtual School’ – #IHBCVirtualSchool2020 – Programme outline available: Heritage Reflections and Speculations from a Global Pandemic, June 19, online and interactive, sessions starting at £15+VAT
With most leads agreed – including Carl Elefante, 94th President of The American Institute of Architects and architect Plácido González Martínez, Professor at Tongji University, Shanghai, and Executive Editor of digital journal Built Heritage – and with delegate places limited, … Continue reading
IHBC’s new ‘CPD Circular’: Making ‘lockdown-compliant’ training and CPD more accessible, with guidance too!
The IHBC has circulated its current ‘CPD Circular’, with lockdown-compliant briefing and content, that still offers the same consolidated access to the best of the IHBC’s own Continuing Professional Development (CPD), as well as opportunities from ‘IHBC Recognised CPD Providers’ … Continue reading
Historic England has launched an emergency fund to help tackle the impact of Coronavirus on the heritage sector, with grants of up to £25,000 to address financial difficulties arising from Coronavirus and grants of £50,000 also available for projects and … Continue reading
The heritage Legislation and Policy Team in the Welsh Government has issued its most recent update on delevopments there, including on issues relating to COVID-19.
The RIBA has urged all members to carefully consider the implications of the current period of disruption for themselves and their businesses, and to keep up to date with all official advice and guidance, in a report last updated on … Continue reading
IHBC’s COVID-19 signpost 28: ESPON resource seeks and offers local and regional responses to COVID19
EU link body ESPON hosts a web resource that seeks to ‘pool best practices and local/regional initiatives and territorial policy responses’ and continues to seek new links to relevant resources.
Building control bodies are being urged to undertake normal, regular site inspections where they can be done safely, under new government coronavirus guidelines as, in an update on the application of Building Regulations during the Covid-19 outbreak, the Ministry for … Continue reading
IHBC’s HESPR pick this week from £23M+ costed works: Scottish Council seeks PM for village regen, closing 12/05, no value stated
The IHBC’s heritage business register HESPR – our Historic Environment Service Providers Recognition quality assurance scheme for heritage services working to the IHBC’s standards – emails its members weekly ‘News and Tender Alerts’, and the IHBC Director’s top pick this … Continue reading
IHBC’s ‘Heritage from the doorstep’: Netflix set to move into TV studios on Ashford railway works site
Video streaming giant Netflix is set to make new film and TV studios in Ashford its UK base, KentOnline understands.
Built Environment Forum Scotland (BEFS) is calling for projects representing ‘best practice case study to illustrate the breadth of activity undertaken in the historic environment in Scotland’, so they can be added to their Historic Environment Case Studies database and … Continue reading
New service launched linking up organisations and senior advisors that ‘bridges the gap between work and retirement for construction professionals’
A new service has been launched that bridges the gap between work and retirement for construction professionals. ProTem.online is a network that capitalises on the experience of professionals approaching retirement, enabling organisations to hire some of the best brains in … Continue reading
A huge bridge section has collapsed in Tuscany, the latest case of Italy’s infrastructure crumbling after years of neglect.