Search the archive
IHBC’S NewsBlogs usually only summarise third party reports. Links to other sites may not be active so you may need to contact the host site for the original text.
Unless made explicit, IHBC NewsBlogs are not IHBC endorsements.
- Support conservation as a climate solution: Volunteers and hosts for IHBC@COP26’s Zoom ‘Conservation Helpdesk+’ still welcome, with guidance now out 15/10/2021
- IHBC responds to Conservation Principles for North Ireland 15/10/2021
- IHBC’s web resource signpost: Quick links and guidance on joining, accreditation and career progress are only a click away! 15/10/2021
- IHBC’s HESPR pick from £43K+ works this week: Charity seeks architect for GII refurb, valued £43K, closing 22/10 15/10/2021
- IHBC features ‘Heritage from the doorstep’: Gateway to historic town centre re-opened following improvement works, as what ‘WAS’ becomes ‘HAZ’ 15/10/2021
- ARB on ‘Modernising architectural education and training’ 15/10/2021
- Department for Levelling Up etc. (DLUHC) on ‘Our Governance’ and Board 15/10/2021
- RICS sets new standards of conduct 15/10/2021
- Scotland’s new Local Place Plans regulations laid in Parliament 15/10/2021
- Elizabeth Tower conservation set to complete in 2022 15/10/2021
- Serious about your staffing plans or career? Stay ahead with ‘IHBC Jobs etc.’, with posts ranging from conservation architects (x2) and Officers (x7+) and seeking Net Zero (HE), Listing (HE) and sustainability skills 12/10/2021
- New Context out, on ‘Conservation leadership by the people’: From Amenity Societies and Wentworth Woodhouse to Kurt Schwitters, Scotland’s Towns, Chester and more 12/10/2021
- Volunteer virtually with IHBC@COP26 on IHBC’s built and historic environment ‘Conservation Helpdesk+’, – because ‘Conserving our Places Conserves our Planet’ 12/10/2021
- IHBC CPD signpost: Gender-Responsive Public Procurement – Can public procurement help solve gender inequality? 12/10/2021
- IHBC’s HESPR ‘Special Interest Sector News’ pick: Dezeen on the ‘Conference of Trees at COP26’ 12/10/2021
- IHBC features ‘Heritage from the doorstep’: Plans for bridge between Scotland and Northern Ireland scrapped – reports 12/10/2021
- The NCT guide to ‘incredible churches in wild landscapes’, with 200+ churches to visit in UK National Parks 12/10/2021
- Record fine issued to London landlord over planning offence 12/10/2021
- Nearly £60m low carbon growth programme approved for Swansea 12/10/2021
- China vows to curb urban demolitions, preserve cultural heritage 12/10/2021
- IHBC members’ on-line ‘inclusive Council’ invites issued: ‘Join in shaping our activities and plans’ – Wed 13 Oct, 1.30PM on 08/10/2021
- Volunteer virtually with IHBC@COP26 on IHBC’s built and historic environment ‘Conservation Helpdesk+’, – because ‘Conserving our Places Conserves our Planet’ 08/10/2021
- IHBC’s HESPR pick from £145K+ works this week: BC seeks governance etc. consultants on heritage project, valued to £25K, closing 25/10 08/10/2021
- IHBC features ‘Heritage from the cemetery’s step’: Paris Court Rules Brancusi’s ‘Kiss’ to stay 08/10/2021
- Boris Johnson pledges no homes will be built on green fields 08/10/2021
Monthly Archives: July 2021
REMINDER – IHBC’s Gus Astley Student Awards close 31 JULY: Win £500 and a place on IHBC’s 2022 Aberdeen School with your built environment/heritage coursework
IHBC update: New SAHBG-IHBC Research Award closing date of 31/07 – Celebrate the ‘quality of architectural-historical research… in heritage and conservation practice’
The IHBC notes the new closing date of 31 July for the joint venture with the Society of Architectural Historians of Great Britain (SAHGB) celebrating architectural-historical research produced as private consultants or for public bodies etc., with winners to receive … Continue reading
IHBC’s HESPR pick from £144.5K+ costed works this week: National body seeks researcher for inclusion strategy, closing 23/08, valued £15K-20K
The IHBC’s heritage business register HESPR – our Historic Environment Service Providers Recognition quality assurance for heritage services – emails members weekly ‘News and Tender Alerts’, and the Director’s pick this week features the call from a national body for … Continue reading
IHBC features ‘Heritage from the doorstep’: Manchester council threatened with legal challenge over ‘support’ for skyscraper – before consultation ended
A report by planning officers supporting the scheme was published before the public consultation had finished, reports the Manchester Evening News.
The National Planning Policy Framework (NPPF), which sets out government’s planning policies for England and how these are expected to be applied, has been revised. image: for illustration purposes only – Open Government Licence v3.0
‘Vision for building beautiful places’ in England, &‘banish ugly developments and deliver?beautiful…’: Office for Place, NPPF and Design Code
A range of measures for England has been launched to improve communities’ infrastructure, champion neighbourhood design, and support walking and cycling to boost health and wellbeing, and includes a new Office for Place to ‘banish ugly developments and deliver?beautiful, green … Continue reading
The Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) has reintroduced an adapted Climate Challenge Report (V.2) and developed voluntary targets for operational energy use etc. to form the basis of the 2030 Climate Challenge, as linked to a news feature on … Continue reading
The AHRC and the Department for Digital, Culture, Media & Sport are looking for project teams to apply for funding to identify future questions for culture and heritage research, closing 10 August.
The European Union Institutions appoint external experts to assist in the evaluation of grant applications, projects and tenders, and to provide opinions and advice in specific cases, and UK arts and humanities researchers are sought for the evaluation of Horizon … Continue reading
REMINDER CLOSING 31 JULY: Win £500 and a place on IHBC’s 2022 Aberdeen School with your built environment/heritage coursework – IHBC’s Gus Astley Student Awards 2021
The IHBC’s celebrated 2021 Gus Astley Student Awards closes to entries on 31 July, so if you have coursework from ANY UK taught course – under-graduate or post-graduate, from 2020 OR 2021 – just submit it online and on time to have a chance … Continue reading
IHBC’s HESPR ‘Special Interest Sector News’ pick: First viewing of Paul McTernan’s Brighton 2021 School taster clip, on ‘Repurposing… the High Street’
The IHBC’s heritage business register HESPR – our Historic Environment Service Providers Recognition quality assurance scheme for heritage services – emails members weekly ‘News and Tender Alerts’, and this week features the first viewing of the taster clip from Paul … Continue reading
Via IHBC HESPR’s Donald Insall Associates, HE, NT & more: Grosvenor on how (properly) making historic buildings energy efficient ‘…could reduce UK buildings’ emissions by 5%’
Making all listed buildings and unlisted historic dwellings in conservation areas more energy efficient could reduce UK carbon emissions from buildings by 5%, says a report, called ‘Heritage & Carbon’, from a partnership led by Grosvenor and including the National … Continue reading
IHBC features ‘Heritage from the (beyond the) doorstep’: Shrewsbury house filled with concrete foam to save it from collapse – it’s not Narnia either…
The Shropshire Star says ‘… it might look like something out of Narnia but the unusual appearance of a county home is actually down to emergency work stopping it crashing down into the street.’
Capital Ambition, Cardiff’s new administration’s five-year plan for the city, outlines the council’s vision for Cardiff to become a leading city on the world stage.
Two new web apps will help homeowners improve and extend their homes making the extension application process easier to navigate, writes Government UK. image: Open Government Licence v3.0
The new Historic England (HE) Planning Bulletin highlights some of the recent and forthcoming developments in planning from a heritage perspective.
Local authority leaders have insisted that the Government must guarantee long-term investment for local services in order to ensure the country’s economic and social recovery after the pandemic. image for illustration purposes only
Reforms to the Prompt Payment Code covering small businesses come into force today requiring payment times to be cut from 60 days to 30 days. image for illustration purposes only
New international cost management (ICMS) reporting standards published for consultation urge professionals to report and measure carbon in developments.
Brighton 2021: Day School webinar ‘taster clips’ now out to savour & share, with delegate recordings due soon; Non-delegate access to main sessions @£10+VAT each (when ready)!
Recordings of the main CPD webinar sessions from the IHBC Brighton 2021 Day School (which included Heritage MarketPlace stall sessions, not recorded) are due soon EXCLUSIVELY for Day and Virtual School delegates, but Taster clips are now available to all, … Continue reading
IHBC sponsors COTAC Conference: ‘Developing the skills, training, and expertise for the challenges ahead’ – 23/24 November
The IHBC is delighted to support as sponsor the forthcoming COTAC conference on ‘Developing the skills, training, and expertise…’, to take place over two half-days on 23 and 24 November.
IHBC welcomes joint IHBC, IEMA and CIfA ‘Principles of Cultural Heritage Impact Assessment in the UK’: Launch 20/07, 12.30-1.30
The IHBC has welcomed the launch of the first edition of the ‘Principles for Cultural Heritage Impact Assessment’, prepared jointly by the IHBC, with past Chair James Caird leading, IEMA and CIfA, which will take place on Tuesday 20 July … Continue reading
New IHBC ‘CPD Priority’ programme virtual event: Ian Hume on ‘Conservation Engineering’, 28-29 September, from £20 for members, with bursaries too!
A new on-line IHBC ‘CPD Priority programme’ event on ‘Conservation Engineering’ with Ian Hume is planned for 28-29 September, with fees from £20.
IHBC’s HESPR pick from £2.1M+ costed works this week: Scottish council seeks team for buildings ‘overhaul’, closing 29/07, valued £2M
The IHBC’s heritage business register HESPR – our Historic Environment Service Providers Recognition quality assurance for heritage services – emails members weekly ‘News and Tender Alerts’, and the Director’s pick this week features the call from a Scottish Council for … Continue reading
IHBC features ‘Heritage from the (Farnham) doorstep’: ‘It’s okay, you’ve still got the drawings,’ says inspector as ex-school condemned to demolition
The Farnham Herald has headlined a case where a former school is lost as the planning inspector notes the proposals would ,only demolish the building, not the drawings, while he can see ‘nothing in the response from HE that leads … Continue reading