Search the archive
IHBC’S NewsBlogs usually only summarise third party reports. Links to other sites may not be active so you may need to contact the host site for the original text.
Unless made explicit, IHBC NewsBlogs are not IHBC endorsements.
- IHBC regrets Liverpool’s loss of WHS status: Notes ‘huge disappointment’ and need to ‘see what lessons there are…’ 23/07/2021
- IHBC, IEMA & CIfA launch joint Principles of Cultural Heritage Impact Assessment (PCHIA) 23/07/2021
- REMINDER – IHBC’s Gus Astley Student Awards close 31 JULY: Win £500 and a place on IHBC’s 2022 Aberdeen School with your built environment/heritage coursework 23/07/2021
- IHBC update: New SAHBG-IHBC Research Award closing date of 31/07 – Celebrate the ‘quality of architectural-historical research… in heritage and conservation practice’ 23/07/2021
- IHBC’s HESPR pick from £144.5K+ costed works this week: National body seeks researcher for inclusion strategy, closing 23/08, valued £15K-20K 23/07/2021
- IHBC features ‘Heritage from the doorstep’: Manchester council threatened with legal challenge over ‘support’ for skyscraper – before consultation ended 23/07/2021
- England’s National Planning Policy Framework revised 23/07/2021
- ‘Vision for building beautiful places’ in England, &‘banish ugly developments and deliver?beautiful…’: Office for Place, NPPF and Design Code 23/07/2021
- RIBA reintroduces adapted Climate Challenge report and introduces voluntary performance targets 23/07/2021
- AHRC ‘scoping culture and heritage capital research’: Closing 10/08 23/07/2021
- Call for arts and humanities experts to evaluate Horizon Europe applications: Open 2021-27 23/07/2021
- REMINDER CLOSING 31 JULY: Win £500 and a place on IHBC’s 2022 Aberdeen School with your built environment/heritage coursework – IHBC’s Gus Astley Student Awards 2021 20/07/2021
- IHBC’s HESPR ‘Special Interest Sector News’ pick: First viewing of Paul McTernan’s Brighton 2021 School taster clip, on ‘Repurposing… the High Street’ 20/07/2021
- Via IHBC HESPR’s Donald Insall Associates, HE, NT & more: Grosvenor on how (properly) making historic buildings energy efficient ‘…could reduce UK buildings’ emissions by 5%’ 20/07/2021
- IHBC features ‘Heritage from the (beyond the) doorstep’: Shrewsbury house filled with concrete foam to save it from collapse – it’s not Narnia either… 20/07/2021
- Cardiff‘s new Council on ‘Capital Ambition – Our continuing commitments for Cardiff’ 20/07/2021
- Government promotes new apps to simplify extension application process for homeowners 20/07/2021
- HE Planning Bulletin: Recent and forthcoming developments in planning from a heritage perspective 20/07/2021
- Council chiefs launch campaign to ‘Build Back Local’ 20/07/2021
- Tighter payment rules to small firms come into force 20/07/2021
- Construction groups unite with proposed new carbon reporting rules consultation 20/07/2021
- Brighton 2021: Day School webinar ‘taster clips’ now out to savour & share, with delegate recordings due soon; Non-delegate access to main sessions @£10+VAT each (when ready)! 16/07/2021
- IHBC sponsors COTAC Conference: ‘Developing the skills, training, and expertise for the challenges ahead’ – 23/24 November 16/07/2021
- IHBC welcomes joint IHBC, IEMA and CIfA ‘Principles of Cultural Heritage Impact Assessment in the UK’: Launch 20/07, 12.30-1.30 16/07/2021
- New IHBC ‘CPD Priority’ programme virtual event: Ian Hume on ‘Conservation Engineering’, 28-29 September, from £20 for members, with bursaries too! 16/07/2021
Daily Archives: 09/07/2021
Judges in the sixth year of the IHBC Marsh Awards, for Community Contribution (Retired Member) and Successful Learning in Heritage Skills, are delighted to announce the 2021 awards.
On behalf of the IHBC, Chair David McDonald has marked the Culture Recovery Fund’s 1-year anniversary helping ‘heritage organisations… contribute to the country’s economy and sense of well-being’. image: Open Government Licence v3.0
REMINDER: IHBC’s Gus Astley Student Awards 2021: Win £500 and a place on IHBC’s 2022 Aberdeen School with your built environment/heritage coursework, closes 31/07!
The IHBC’s celebrated 2021 Gus Astley Student Awards closes to entries on 31 July, so if you have coursework from ANY UK taught course – under-graduate or post-graduate, from 2020 OR 2021 – just submit it online and on time to have a chance … Continue reading
A petition from Molly Scott Cato – the Green Party’s finance spokesperson – on the Downing Street website calls on the government to remove VAT on refurbishment projects and raise VAT on non-Passivhaus new-build construction to 20 per cent, with … Continue reading
IHBC update on ‘how you would like to see the Palace of Westminster restored and renewed’ – only 6 days left!
Only 6 days are left to join have your say on how you would like to see the Palace of Westminster restored and renewed. Parliamentary copyright images are reproduced with the permission of Parliament
IHBC’s HESPR pick from £255K+ costed work: English national heritage body seeks lead to publish prehistoric marine framework, closing 4/08, valued £40-50K
The IHBC’s heritage business register HESPR – our Historic Environment Service Providers Recognition quality assurance for heritage services – emails members weekly ‘News and Tender Alerts’, and the Director’s pick this week features the call from an English national heritage … Continue reading
IHBC features ‘Heritage from the doorstep’: Former Harris meat factory mansion in Calne, Wilts, to be restored
The last remaining buildings on the site of the Harris meat factory family’s historic mansion in Calne, Wiltshire, are being restored to their former glory and converted into new homes, reports The Gazette and Herald.
Robert Jenrick confirms a ‘higher threshold’ for article 4 directions that restrict permitted development rights
Secretary of State Robert Jenrick has announced a new ‘higher threshold’ for the use of article 4 directions, including being used only ‘to avoid wholly unacceptable adverse impacts’ or ‘to protect local amenity or the well-being of the area’, and … Continue reading
The National Energy Foundation (NEF) has launched the UK’s first verification scheme for home retrofits. image: for illustration purposes only
New trade and building apprentice opportunities supported by HE & partners, across timber, stone, plaster and more!
Historic England (HE) and partners are offering new apprenticeship routes into the heritage sector, with special building-related opportunities ranging from carpentry & Joinery and stonemasonry and roofing. image: Historic England
UKGBC industry survey on market drivers etc. for net zero carbon buildings verification scheme, closing 19/07
A UK Green Building Council (UKGBC) invites industry feedback on market drivers, expectations and characteristics for a potential net zero carbon buildings verification scheme through a survey that closes on 19 July.
The Heritage Alliance is looking for a Chair to lead the Board of Trustees and staff from Autumn 2021, to be formally appointed at our AGM in early 2022, with CV and cover due by 31 July.
The former Royal High School has been put on the open market by the City of Edinburgh Council for interested parties to submit development proposals in return for a long lease of the building. image: for illustration purposes only – … Continue reading