Ambitious plans to transform the Royal and Ancient (R&A) clubhouse at the Old Course in St Andrews have been given the green light, and will see the female locker rooms located within the main clubhouse for the very first time.
… Most of the work…. will be carried out underground…
…biggest development at the clubhouse… since its foundation stone was laid in July 1853…’
Scottish Construction Now writes:
Fife Council has given its approval for the revamp which will see the female locker rooms located within the main clubhouse for the very first time. Women members currently make use of a locker room around 50 yards away at Forgan House.
Most of the work, which will effectively treble the accommodation space on site, will be carried out underground, ….
Landmarks including the Cutty Sark flagpole, which was gifted to the R&A following refurbishment at Gray’s Shipyard in Essex in 1943, and the Playfair Monument, which commemorates the life and works of Lord Lyon Play fair, will also be carefully dismantled, refurbished and repositioned within the new landscape.
The changes represent the biggest development at the clubhouse since its foundation stone was laid in July 1853….