To help link employers’ needs and practitioners’ skills, we update IHBC NewsBlogs etc. readers on the diverse opportunities on our ‘IHBC Jobs etc.’ service, as this round highlights familiar employment matters, so sign up for free alerts and ‘stay ahead’ with the IHBC’s ‘Jobs etc.’ service!
See more on IHBC25 and promote our 25th anniversary with #IHBC25
IHBC Director Sean O’Reilly said: ‘This round of the ‘Jobs etc’ service – the first in our 25th (silver) anniversary celebrations – includes a strong showing from a range of more and less familiar conservation-related disciplines seeking access to our members’ skills.’
… major opportunities in Scotland…
‘These include major opportunities in Scotland, notably the National Trust for Scotland’s Head of Project Management (PM) and Edinburgh World Heritage’s Conservation posts of Architect and Grants Manager and Climate Change Project Officer.
… building management, survey and design needs all loom large…
‘Indeed across the island building management, survey and design needs all loom large as well. The Brighton Pavilion is looking for a Historic Buildings Manager while, in between, Barnsley Council seeks a Design and Conservation Apprentice, Arnold Bartosch a Conservation Building Surveyor, and Port Sunlight Village Trust a Conservation and Maintenance Manager.’
‘There’s also a range of substantial posts across public sector and allied employers, and conservation officer-styled roles tied to – or evolved from – the traditional role with its balanced integration of regulatory control and heritage-led intervention.’
‘These include calls from High Peak and Staffordshire Moorlands for a Conservation Officer and from Dorset for a Conservation and Design Officer, with Monmouthshire and Dover’s calls for Heritage Officer and Heritage/Senior Heritage Officer respectively linked to more regulatory roles. The Historic England post of Inspector of Historic Buildings and Areas also represents that skills range, though here with a national regulator.
‘While these are all familiar variants of the Conservation Officer role, other posts this round also recognise the broader place-management and planning traditions from – and alongside – which the historic role evolved.’
‘Stirling’s and Croydon’s calls for Project Officers (Senior, and Conservation in the latter); High Peak etc.’s Heritage Action Zone Project Officer post, and Brighton & Hove ‘s call for Principal Planning Officer (Conservation) all also represent those wider trends in demands for skills in proactive and informed ‘intervention’, as does the revised application date (14/04) for PKHT’s call for a Perth Lower City Mills Development Officer.
‘Those diverse practice areas are also reflected in the IHBC’s MATE application support sessions and guidance, as well as in the principles we use to assess interdisciplinary competence in line with international conservation practice standards.’
‘That same breadth of skills is appears in recent ecclesiastical roles, notably for this round with the Diocese of Durham and its call for a Church Buildings Support Officer.
Private sector conservation posts also and as ever broadly match the membership profile of the IHBC as a whole. Smith Jenkins seeks a range of roles, including Senior Consultants, Associates and Associate Directors, suggesting significant investment, while Turley continues its evolution with a call for Assistant Consultant / Consultants at Manchester, Birmingham and London
Both Lanpro Services and HESPR member Purcell seek Heritage Consultant (Experienced and Assistant respectively) while SLR is looking to fill three posts across Historic Buildings and Archaeology
Recent Posts: (some posts will have closed so it is crucial to sign up for free email alerts, and check your spam regularly too)
- Stirling Council: Project Officer
- Port Sunlight Village Trust: Conservation and Maintenance Manager
- Historic England: Inspector of Historic Buildings and Areas
- National Trust for Scotland: Head of Project Management
- High Peak Borough Council and Staffordshire Moorlands District Council: Heritage Action Zone Project Officer
- High Peak Borough Council and Staffordshire Moorlands District Council: Conservation Officer
- Turley: Assistant Consultant / Consultants – Manchester, Birmingham, London
- Brighton & Hove City Council: Principal Planning Officer (Conservation)
- Diocese of Durham: Church Buildings Support Officer
- Edinburgh World Heritage: Conservation Architect and Grants Manager, Climate Change Project Officer
- Monmouthshire County Council: Heritage Officer
- Dover District Council: Heritage/Senior Heritage Officer
- Royal Pavilion & Museums Trust: Historic Buildings Manager
- Barnsley Council: Design and Conservation Apprentice
- Smith Jenkins Planning & Heritage : Heritage & Townscape Consultants – Senior Consultants, Associates and Associate Directors
- Dorset Council: Conservation and Design Officer
- Arnold Bartosch Ltd: Conservation Building Surveyor
- Lanpro Services: Experienced Heritage Consultant
- Purcell: Assistant Heritage Consultant
- Croydon: Senior Project Officer (Conservation)
- SLR: Historic Buildings Heritage Consultant / Principal Archaeology & Heritage Consultant / Senior Archaeology & Heritage Consultant (3 posts)
- NEW CLOSING DATE – PKHT: Perth Lower City Mills Development Officer
The IHBC Jobs etc.’ service reaches a uniquely diverse heritage network of practitioners and advisers from different specialist backgrounds, including architects, planners, engineers, archaeologists, historians, builders, contractors, academics and many more!
IHBC Jobs etc. offers advertisers:
- Special reductions for posts specifying skills in conservation (10%) and heritage (5%)
- Additional reductions for charities (25%)
- Even more reductions for bulk sales (just ask!)
- Free cross-promotion in IHBC’s HESPR ‘Weekly News and tender Alert’, where relevant
- IHBC Jobs etc.posts feature regularly on the ever popular IHBC NewsBlogs
- Circulation data feedback as standard.
IHBC Jobs etc offers:
- 2000 specialist and personal contact network (IHBC members and non-members) by individual email
- Feature page, illustration and summary on theIHBC Jobs etc website
- IHBC website homepage scroll (c.300,000 page visits/month)
- IHBC’s social networks (c.18,000 core users; c.27,000 extended links)
Advertise your jobs, work projects and more
Remember: All IHBC members can opt in or out of the email alert service, and non-members are encouraged to sign up for free.
So you don’t miss out on your perfect job, even if you are not a member, SIGN UP for the emails alerts.
See the full list on the IHBC Jobs etc service
See more IHBC’s MATE sessions