Search the archive
IHBC’S NewsBlogs usually only summarise third party reports. Links to other sites may not be active so you may need to contact the host site for the original text.
Unless made explicit, IHBC NewsBlogs are not IHBC endorsements.
- IHBC regrets Liverpool’s loss of WHS status: Notes ‘huge disappointment’ and need to ‘see what lessons there are…’ 23/07/2021
- IHBC, IEMA & CIfA launch joint Principles of Cultural Heritage Impact Assessment (PCHIA) 23/07/2021
- REMINDER – IHBC’s Gus Astley Student Awards close 31 JULY: Win £500 and a place on IHBC’s 2022 Aberdeen School with your built environment/heritage coursework 23/07/2021
- IHBC update: New SAHBG-IHBC Research Award closing date of 31/07 – Celebrate the ‘quality of architectural-historical research… in heritage and conservation practice’ 23/07/2021
- IHBC’s HESPR pick from £144.5K+ costed works this week: National body seeks researcher for inclusion strategy, closing 23/08, valued £15K-20K 23/07/2021
- IHBC features ‘Heritage from the doorstep’: Manchester council threatened with legal challenge over ‘support’ for skyscraper – before consultation ended 23/07/2021
- England’s National Planning Policy Framework revised 23/07/2021
- ‘Vision for building beautiful places’ in England, &‘banish ugly developments and deliver?beautiful…’: Office for Place, NPPF and Design Code 23/07/2021
- RIBA reintroduces adapted Climate Challenge report and introduces voluntary performance targets 23/07/2021
- AHRC ‘scoping culture and heritage capital research’: Closing 10/08 23/07/2021
- Call for arts and humanities experts to evaluate Horizon Europe applications: Open 2021-27 23/07/2021
- REMINDER CLOSING 31 JULY: Win £500 and a place on IHBC’s 2022 Aberdeen School with your built environment/heritage coursework – IHBC’s Gus Astley Student Awards 2021 20/07/2021
- IHBC’s HESPR ‘Special Interest Sector News’ pick: First viewing of Paul McTernan’s Brighton 2021 School taster clip, on ‘Repurposing… the High Street’ 20/07/2021
- Via IHBC HESPR’s Donald Insall Associates, HE, NT & more: Grosvenor on how (properly) making historic buildings energy efficient ‘…could reduce UK buildings’ emissions by 5%’ 20/07/2021
- IHBC features ‘Heritage from the (beyond the) doorstep’: Shrewsbury house filled with concrete foam to save it from collapse – it’s not Narnia either… 20/07/2021
- Cardiff‘s new Council on ‘Capital Ambition – Our continuing commitments for Cardiff’ 20/07/2021
- Government promotes new apps to simplify extension application process for homeowners 20/07/2021
- HE Planning Bulletin: Recent and forthcoming developments in planning from a heritage perspective 20/07/2021
- Council chiefs launch campaign to ‘Build Back Local’ 20/07/2021
- Tighter payment rules to small firms come into force 20/07/2021
- Construction groups unite with proposed new carbon reporting rules consultation 20/07/2021
- Brighton 2021: Day School webinar ‘taster clips’ now out to savour & share, with delegate recordings due soon; Non-delegate access to main sessions @£10+VAT each (when ready)! 16/07/2021
- IHBC sponsors COTAC Conference: ‘Developing the skills, training, and expertise for the challenges ahead’ – 23/24 November 16/07/2021
- IHBC welcomes joint IHBC, IEMA and CIfA ‘Principles of Cultural Heritage Impact Assessment in the UK’: Launch 20/07, 12.30-1.30 16/07/2021
- New IHBC ‘CPD Priority’ programme virtual event: Ian Hume on ‘Conservation Engineering’, 28-29 September, from £20 for members, with bursaries too! 16/07/2021
Monthly Archives: May 2021
Unique customised learning opportunities at the IHBC’s School Heritage MarketPlace, 18/06: Just tell our MarketPlace Stallholders what you need! #IHBCBrighton2021
The IHBC’s 2021 Brighton School #IHBCBrighton2021 Heritage MarketPlace #IHBCMarketPlace is the perfect source for targeted learning, with lots of options across diverse practice areas – from working as a consultant and education to sealing systems and heritage roofing – but … Continue reading
Fancy a free Brighton School? #IHBCBrighton2021 Or just have a session query but can’t attend it live? Ask the best question by 17/06 and get your money back!
Delegates across the IHBC’s 2021 Brighton School #IHBCBrighton2021 on 17-18 June – especially any who can’t attend a live session– should submit questions, queries or observation in advance (by 17 June) as you can win back the School fee if … Continue reading
Conservation, Places and People APPG inaugural Inquiry: Update on first session evidence, with HE, THA and FMB speaking to Kerslake, Wellington, Grundy, Carrington and more!
The first oral evidence session of the All-Party Parliamentary Group on Conservation, Places and People (CPP APPG) @CPPeopleAPPG inaugural inquiry into the ‘Value of Heritage’ took place in a closed session on 26 May, chaired by Layla Moran MP, and including … Continue reading
REMINDER: BBC Northern Ireland TV ‘Restoration Rescue’ series seeks UK suggestions, via the IHBC Chair
The IHBC network has been ask to help a TV production company in Belfast to suggest stories of home restorations from across the UK.
IHBC’s HESPR pick from £3.2M+ costed works this week: National body seeks support for engagement strategy, closing 07/07, valued £25K
The IHBC’s heritage business register HESPR – our Historic Environment Service Providers Recognition quality assurance for heritage services – emails members weekly ‘News and Tender Alerts’, and the Director’s pick features this week features is the call from a national … Continue reading
IHBC features ‘Heritage from the doorstep’: Cheshire East Council takes action against landowner caravans on green belt field
A landowner has been given a suspended prison sentence after putting caravans on green belt land without permission, as a businessman was found guilty of ten counts of contempt of court after Cheshire East Council took legal action, reports the … Continue reading
LGA: PDRs mean offices left empty by COVID-19 could reduce affordable home opportunities and push substandard home conversions
New analysis by the Local Government Association (LGA) found that more than 16,000 affordable homes could have been lost in England in the past five years as a result of offices converted into homes under permitted development rights (PDRs) that … Continue reading
Local Authority Building Control (LABC) has launched a new website for homeowners – Front Door – which provides practical guidance on all sorts of home improvements and renovations as well as technical advice on obtaining building control and planning approvals.
The European Cultural Heritage Skills Alliance CHARTER (Cultural Heritage Actions to Refine Training, Education and Roles), has been launched, an Erasmus+ project taking place from January 2021 until December 2024, and with a Consortium of 21 full members that includes … Continue reading
Further 57 English high streets to receive a share of over £830 million to improve transport links, build new homes and transform underused space. image: Open Government Licence v3.0
IHBC’s ‘IMHO’ Signpost: Old buildings – What’s new in heritage planning, from #planoraks and the Queen’s Speech’
Zack Simons article on #planoraks runs through the ‘juicy titbits learned about the forthcoming Planning Bill from last week’s Queen’s Speech’.
IHBC’s 2021 School MarketPlace featured on DBW’s Newsletter to 14.5K construction sector users… as DBW promotes its MarketPlace Stall!
The IHBC’s 2021 Brighton School ‘Heritage MarketPlace’ featured on the Newsletter of Designing Buildings Wiki (DBW) – host platform for the IHBC’s Conservation Wiki and the ‘construction industry knowledge base’ – promoting the School and DBW’s MarketPlace stall – to … Continue reading
The IHBC has submitted its response to the Housing, Communities and Local Government Committee on Permitted Development Rights, highlighting the likely impact of recent changes to Permitted Development (PD) and more.
IHBC’s HESPR ‘Special Interest Sector News’ pick of the week: First sight on IHBC’s School CPD Circular special edition!
The IHBC’s heritage business register HESPR – our Historic Environment Service Providers Recognition quality assurance scheme for heritage services – emails members weekly ‘News and Tender Alerts’, and this week features the update on the IHBC’s new School programme and … Continue reading
‘Harmful’ plans to turn an historic West Lavington house into tourist accommodation have been refused, reports The Chichester Observer.
A major Glasgow blaze left a building ‘significantly damaged’ sparking a police probe, reports The Daily Record.
You can refresh your knowledge with England’s Charity Commission’s 5-minute guides, published 19 February 2021.
As many heritage attractions prepare to reopen research1 commissioned by specialist heritage insurer Ecclesiastical has revealed three quarters (73%) of heritage workers in the UK are afraid to return to work when their organisation reopens.
New roundtables between cultural and corporate sectors try to help boost the arts’ recovery from Covid-19 following the Culture Recovery Fund. image: Lord Neil Mendoza – Open Government Licence v3.0
MHCLG updates on Homes England’s building support etc.: £250K to £250M loans to cover development or infrastructure
The Ministry of housing Communities and Local Government (MCHLG) has updated its information about the Home Building Fund, a flexible source of funding administered by Homes England on behalf of the government. image: for illustration purposes only
A grant awarded by the BEIS Social Housing Decarbonisation Fund Demonstrator will see 50 council homes with low energy ratings undergo whole house energy retrofits using some of the latest technology available.
Festival of Place ‘Pineapple Awards’: Place-making projects making ‘social, environmental, and economic impact’, closing 25/05
This year’s Festival of Place Pineapple Awards, held in partnership with the Design Council, recognises place-making projects that make a social, environmental, and economic impact, with entries closing 25 May.
IHBC’s 2021 Day School (18 June) base fee rises to £30 from June – and with places limited book now to secure low-cost access during or after the School, or consider the MarketPlace option!
With the CPD Circular special edition for the 2021 Brighton School detailing its unique suite of learning, and early bird fees to end in June, now is the time to secure your School place, and remember that recordings will be … Continue reading
IHBC Secretariat to ‘Conservation, Places and People APPG’ issues first Newsletter: Updates range from launch Inquiry and White Paper to briefing on levelling-up
The IHBC Secretariat to the All-Party Parliamentary Group on Conservation, Places and People (CPP APPG) has issued its first Newsletter, with updates ranging from progress in the first Inquiry, video discussions on matters such as new members, England’s Planning White … Continue reading
IHBC Director’s ‘BEFS Blog’ explains how shared ambitions for inclusion and connection shaped access priorities for the IHBC’s 2021 Virtual School’s MarketPlace, on 18 June
In a new blog for Scotland’s BEFS, IHBC Director Seán O’Reilly explains how inclusion and accessibility shaped the 2021 School Heritage MarketPlace, with low entry fees and virtual platforms that mean community and voluntary sector can more easily reach practitioners and … Continue reading