Search the archive
IHBC’S NewsBlogs usually only summarise third party reports. Links to other sites may not be active so you may need to contact the host site for the original text.
Unless made explicit, IHBC NewsBlogs are not IHBC endorsements.
- IHBC supports CIOB’s ‘Future Skills for Traditional Buildings’: 05 November, online 23/10/2020
- IHBC welcomes new AHF-HE Covid-19 recovery grants initiative: £1M for post-COVID business planning for ‘small heritage’, closing 9/11 23/10/2020
- IHBC joins 27 leading planning-linked bodies to explore National Planning Forum’s 2020 Vision 23/10/2020
- IHBC’s HESPR pick this week from £202M+ costed works: Service provision for NI programme, closing 25/11, valued £121K 23/10/2020
- IHBC features ‘Heritage from the (industry’s) doorstep’: Traditional skills to the fore as Nairn Courthouse restoration works complete 23/10/2020
- IHBC’s ‘Out of Context’ CPD boost from London, via Ireland: Case study insights to Heritage Partnership Agreements (HPAs) 23/10/2020
- Scotland’s NLHF-funded Business Support Programme applications now open: Closes noon 03/12 23/10/2020
- ‘Greatest threat in a generation’ faces UK’s heritage buildings: Vic Soc Director Joe O’Donnell 23/10/2020
- Historic England Chair warns against removing statues: ‘Recontexualise’ instead 23/10/2020
- Museums Association response to Oliver Dowden’s letter on contested heritage 23/10/2020
- CLC issues new guidance ahead of Brexit 23/10/2020
- Denmark’s ‘Utopian Garden City’ built entirely in circles: See astounding aerial views of Brøndby Haveby 23/10/2020
- Lathams, IHBC’s latest HESPR registered practice: Nearly 50 HESPR service providers working to IHBC standards 20/10/2020
- IHBC’s Virtual MATEs span local to global applicants, as membership accreditation takes to the airwaves 20/10/2020
- IHBC asks for: ‘YOUR PROSECUTIONS DATA PLEASE’… to help us help conservation! 20/10/2020
- IHBC’s HESPR ‘Special Interest Sector News’ pick of the week: ‘Trade bodies threaten to boot members out if they can’t prove competence’ 20/10/2020
- IHBC’s features ‘Heritage from the doorstep’: Salford’s green spaces protected in the courts – again 20/10/2020
- Mapping tool for unused construction materials launched 20/10/2020
- … Fiscal and Funding Priorities 2020 report launch by THA 20/10/2020
- Climate Assembly UK publishes report on path to net zero emissions 20/10/2020
- Brick Sector Stakeholder Sustainability KPI Questionnaire 20/10/2020
- Sir David Adjaye OBE to receive 2021 Royal Gold Medal 20/10/2020
- Adrian Olivier appointed as the Chair of the Historic Environment Forum 20/10/2020
- IHBC welcomes £103m recovery fund distribution to 445 heritage bodies, via £1.57B Culture Recovery Fund 16/10/2020
- Serious about your staffing plans or career direction? Stay ahead with our ‘IHBC Jobs etc.’ service, with conservation roles from listing and HAZs to surveying, architecture and more 16/10/2020
Author Archives: IHBC NewsBlog
The IHBC is co-sponsoring the ‘Future Skills for Traditional Buildings’ virtual conference from the Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB) on 5 November, with speakers to include IHBC members Rory Cullen and John Edwards, and with IHBC officers hosting a digital … Continue reading
IHBC welcomes new AHF-HE Covid-19 recovery grants initiative: £1M for post-COVID business planning for ‘small heritage’, closing 9/11
The IHBC has welcomed the announcement that the Cultural Recovery Fund to include smaller charities and social enterprise, assisted by the Architectural Heritage Fund (AHF) tandem with Historic England (HE), as £1M has been allocated to ‘charities and social enterprises … Continue reading
England’s newly launched National Planning Forum (NPF) ‘2020 Vision’ explores ‘Planning in a post-COVID world’, featuring contributions by 28 leading planning-linked bodies – from the Woodland Trust and Historic Houses to the Home Builders Federation and Natural England, alongside IHBC … Continue reading
IHBC’s HESPR pick this week from £202M+ costed works: Service provision for NI programme, closing 25/11, valued £121K
The IHBC’s heritage business register HESPR – our Historic Environment Service Providers Recognition quality assurance scheme for heritage services working to the IHBC’s standards – emails its members weekly ‘News and Tender Alerts’, and the IHBC Director’s top pick this … Continue reading
IHBC features ‘Heritage from the (industry’s) doorstep’: Traditional skills to the fore as Nairn Courthouse restoration works complete
Scottish Construction Now has reported on the successful strategy in the recently completed Highland Council-led restoration works on the Category B-listed Nairn Courthouse. image: Inverness Courier
IHBC’s ‘Out of Context’ CPD boost from London, via Ireland: Case study insights to Heritage Partnership Agreements (HPAs)
To expand your technical legislation knowledge of Heritage Partnership Agreements (HPA) see Issue 163 of the institute’s member journal Context where Claire Brady of Historic England explains how a HPA works in practice: as a legal agreement setting out how … Continue reading
Applications are now open to the NLHF-funded Business Support Programme, ‘Surviving to Thriving’ – developed by Built Environment Forum Scotland (BEFS) and partners – with applications due by noon, 3 December.
Britain’s architectural heritage is facing a ‘once-in-a-generation’ threat, The Guardian reports, as Joe O’Donnell – Director of one of the country’s foremost conservation groups – warns that Government’s planning reforms will favour new builds over repurposing old structures.
Removing controversial statues risks the past being ‘torn away’, and we should ‘recontextualise’ instead, said Historic England’s chair, Sir Laurie Magnus, in non-Inquiry oral evidence to the Parliamentary Digital, Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) Committee on Physical Heritage, on 6 … Continue reading
The Museums Association (MA) has welcomed the UK Government’s support for museums in England to date, but is ‘Urging the UK Government to respect the arm’s-length principle for museums.
The Construction Leadership Council (CLC) has published new guidance for the industry ahead of Brexit at the end of the year.
Denmark’s ‘Utopian Garden City’ built entirely in circles: See astounding aerial views of Brøndby Haveby
Photographer Henry Do brought the world’s attention to one such suburban settlement, Brøndby Haveby or Garden City – built in 1964 to the design of ‘genius landscape architect Erik Mygind – with a series of aerial photographs posted to Instagram.
Lathams, IHBC’s latest HESPR registered practice: Nearly 50 HESPR service providers working to IHBC standards
Lathams is the latest company to join the IHBC’s conservation and heritage services ‘HESPR’ quality assurance listing, joining the heritage businesses, offering from it East Midlands based practice services that combine architecture, planning, conservation, regeneration, and urban design.
IHBC’s Virtual MATEs span local to global applicants, as membership accreditation takes to the airwaves
Having piloted a Virtual Membership Application Training Event (MATE) in May, the IHBC has now rolled out several dates for more, all of which have been filled within days of being advertised, and with targeted groups ranging from antipodean applicants … Continue reading
IHBC’s National Database of Listed Building Prosecutions – created in 1996 on the initiative of Bob Kindred, and now with details of hundreds of case sentences – is the ‘go to’ resource on local authority prosecutions, but its contents need … Continue reading
IHBC’s HESPR ‘Special Interest Sector News’ pick of the week: ‘Trade bodies threaten to boot members out if they can’t prove competence’
The IHBC’s heritage business register HESPR – our Historic Environment Service Providers Recognition quality assurance scheme for heritage services – emails members weekly ‘News and Tender Alerts’, with notices from across the development sector’s publications, and this week features Building’s … Continue reading
IHBC’s features ‘Heritage from the doorstep’: Salford’s green spaces protected in the courts – again
Salford City Council is celebrating after another victory in the courts to protect Salford’s green spaces. image: for illustration purposes only – open government licence v3.0
A mapping tool that provides contractors and their suppliers with a central database of local Materials Exchange Platform (MEP) projects to help cut waste by finding a home for unused materials has been launched.
The Heritage Alliance (THA) has published a new version of its key document on funding, Backing the Bedrock: Fiscal and Funding Priorities 2020.
The first UK-wide citizens’ assembly on climate change, which was commissioned by six House of Commons Select Committees, has published its final report on how the UK can reach its legally binding target of net zero emissions by 2050. Image … Continue reading
UK brick industry launches survey on Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) to identify important topics for the sector. image: for illustration purposes only
Given in recognition of a lifetime’s work, the Royal Gold Medal is given to a person or group of people who have had a significant influence ‘either directly or indirectly on the advancement of architecture’.
The Historic Environment Forum (HEF) has announced that Dr Adrian Olivier – former English Heritage Heritage Protection Director and Head of Profession for Archaeology – has been appointed as Chair.
IHBC welcomes £103m recovery fund distribution to 445 heritage bodies, via £1.57B Culture Recovery Fund
IHBC Chair David McDonald has welcomed the announcement that 445 heritage organisations across the country are set to receive a lifesaving financial boost thanks to the dedicated £103M distribution from the £1.57Bn Culture Recovery Fund, helping them through the coronavirus … Continue reading
Serious about your staffing plans or career direction? Stay ahead with our ‘IHBC Jobs etc.’ service, with conservation roles from listing and HAZs to surveying, architecture and more
To help heritage and conservation employers and practitioners across the UK, the IHBC regularly updates NewsBlog readers about the diverse career opportunities posted on our ‘IHBC Jobs etc.’ service, with recent offerings including proactive roles delivering direct benefits locally, in … Continue reading