Search the archive
IHBC’S NewsBlogs usually only summarise third party reports. Links to other sites may not be active so you may need to contact the host site for the original text.
Unless made explicit, IHBC NewsBlogs are not IHBC endorsements.
- IHBC’s new CPD Circular School Edition update: Lord Kerslake welcomes; School sponsors MFL Affinity takes MarketPlace Stall, and much more! 16/06/2021
- ‘Single Seminar’ options at 17 June School @ £10+VAT: Asset management OR Retrofit OR 21st Century education & training OR Communities and Campaigning! 16/06/2021
- IHBC’s heritage from Design to Economics, from £30+VAT: Jan Gehl (Design) + Donovan Rypkema (Economics) + High Streets + Lottery + Local listing + Participation – Book now and ask questions early! 16/06/2021
- IHBC’s HESPR ‘Special Interest Sector News’ pick: News selection form IHBC virtual 2021 School MarketPlace Stallholder Designing Buildings Wiki 16/06/2021
- IHBC’s features ‘Heritage from the (construction) doorstep’: Video marks end of Inverness Townscape Heritage Project 16/06/2021
- RTPI announces launch of new network for politicians involved in planning 16/06/2021
- Design Council: Using design as a force for change 16/06/2021
- CITB on Levy Proposals and Consultation 16/06/2021
- BSI: New competence standards for work in buildings 16/06/2021
- Government urged to support creation of thousands of new green jobs in areas with greatest employment challenges 16/06/2021
- IHBC Signpost: Leonardo da Vinci Designs the Ideal City: See 3D Models of His Radical Design 16/06/2021
- Fancy a freebie at the IHBC’s Virtual School? #IHBCBrighton2021 or can’t attend live?Just ask the best question by 17/06 and get the fee back! 11/06/2021
- Connecting conservation across continents: Roundup by Rypkema & PlaceEconomics – from Reading Gaol to the ’21 Tulsa Race Massacre, linked at IHBC’s virtual 2021 School on 18/06! 11/06/2021
- Customised learning at IHBC’s School Heritage MarketPlace, 18/06: Tell our MarketPlace Stallholders what you want! 11/06/2021
- REMINDER: Single Seminar’ options at 17 June School #IHBCBrighton2021 @ £10+VAT: Asset management OR Retrofit OR 21st Century education & training OR Communities and Campaigning! 11/06/2021
- IHBC’s HESPR pick from £872.5K+ costed works this week: Park Authority seeks Walkover Surveys, valued from £1250 11/06/2021
- Demolition of ‘beautiful’ historic and protected cottage leads to prosecution of East Meon developer 11/06/2021
- Parliamentary report on England’s planning reforms: ‘Reconsider the three areas proposal’ and publish impact assessment on historic buildings and sites 11/06/2021
- AHF 2020/21 ‘Impact Report’ now out: To ‘evaluate our overarching impact’ 11/06/2021
- HES: New plan to promote equality, diversity and inclusion from IHBC School MarketPlace Stallholder 11/06/2021
- Now out: Biodiversity in new housing developments: creating wildlife-friendly communities 11/06/2021
- IHBC signpost Dave Stitt opinion piece via IHBC School MarketPlace Stallholder CIOB Academy: Six questions construction leaders should ask themselves about quality 11/06/2021
- #IHBCBrighton2021 welcomes more virtual ‘Heritage MarketPlace’ stalls and learning: Lottery, CIOB Academy, HE, HES, BEFS, ICON, YALE UP, IHBC’s CPP APPG, Energy Savers, DB Wiki, HTN, THA, Hirst & Murphy Associates – offering dedicated virtual sessions from casework, products and practice to BPNs, advocacy, funding priorities and more! 08/06/2021
- IHBC’s CPD Circular now out: 2021 School updates Cost-effective cross-sector support, with free sign up/events listings. 08/06/2021
- REMINDER: Single Seminar’ options at 17 June School #IHBCBrighton2021 @ £10+VAT: Asset management OR Retrofit OR 21st Century education & training OR Communities and Campaigning! 08/06/2021
Author Archives: IHBC NewsBlog
IHBC’s latest HESPR registered practice: Artifex Conservation Architects, joins nearly 50 HESPR service providers working to IHBC standards
Artifex Conservation Architects has become the latest company to join the IHBC’s conservation and heritage services ‘HESPR’ quality assurance register, the IHBC’s listing and support service that nears 50 service providers working to IHBC standards.
IHBC’s pre-AGM event is free (IHBC members only; 5.30 on, 03/12), and you can donate to the IHBC CREATIVE Conservation Fund on application… or after, if you missed it!
If lucky enough to be an IHBC member (any category) and able to join the IHBC’s 2020 AGM and free pre-AGM proceedings from 5.30PM on 3 December – with a filmed welcome from Griff Rhys Jones and School updates –you … Continue reading
IHBC’s HESPR ‘Special Interest Sector News’ pick of the week: ‘Chinese ruins transformed into museum’
The IHBC’s heritage business register HESPR – our Historic Environment Service Providers Recognition quality assurance scheme for heritage services – emails members weekly ‘News and Tender Alerts’, with notices from across the development sector’s publications, and this week features Dezeen’s … Continue reading
IHBC features ‘Heritage from the doorstep’: North Staffs sites share in £1.57bn fund for support through pandemic
Ford Green Hall and Middleport Pottery in North Staffordshire are among the heritage organisations to receive funding to support them though pandemic.
The Architectural Heritage Fund (AHF) has invested £10K towards the regeneration of the Mid-Steeple Quarter project in Dumfries, including allowing use ‘as a community space for local groups, for pop-up events and a re-makery shop.’ image: AHF website
The results of the second cross-industry ‘People Survey’, carried out by Build UK on behalf of the Construction Leadership Council (CLC) in September provides an up to date snapshot of the ongoing impact of the coronavirus pandemic on the construction … Continue reading
Ecclesiastical Insurance is giving £120,000 to good causes as part of its annual 12 days of giving Christmas campaign and is inviting people to nominate a registered charity close to their hearts to benefit from this festive financial boost.
Environment charities and funders are ‘stuck in a vicious cycle’ where work is underfunded, leading to less impact and less ability to attract funding, a report has warned. image: for illustration purposes only – Apollo 17/Public Domain
Historic England has launched new education resources created to help primary school teachers engage key stage two pupils in the history of buildings, as part of the Breaking New Ground project supported by the John Laing Charitable Trust.
Potentially valuable Roman artefacts have been recovered from a building site in Barking, Essex.
Voting at IHBC’s 2020 Virtual AGM (03/12)? Vote by proxy even if attending – it can be changed in the AGM – and be sure to ‘help the IHBC move past the pandemic’!
ALL IHBC members with a say at the online AGM on 3 December are called on to vote in advance ‘by proxy’, even if attending – votes during the AGM take precedence, allowing for changed positions – and ‘help the … Continue reading
Serious about your staffing plans or career direction? Stay ahead with ‘IHBC Jobs etc.’ – conservation roles from ‘Placemaking’ in Wales and ‘Design’ with HS1, to urban, regulatory and maritime roles, and much more!
To help heritage and conservation employers and practitioners across the UK, the IHBC regularly updates NewsBlog readers about the diverse career opportunities advertised on our ‘IHBC Jobs etc.’ service, while recent posts cover roles from an insightfully titled ’Placemaking and … Continue reading
IHBC’s LPA Capacity research headlines DBW’s home page: ‘Conservation advice available to local authorities falls 48.7% since 2009; 6% today have none!’
Against news from bodies such as ICE, BRE Trust, CIAT, CIOB, BSRIA etc., the IHBC’s recently launched research into England’s Local Planning Authority (LPA) conservation services has headlined the home page of Designing Buildings Wiki (DBW) – host platform for … Continue reading
IHBC CPD provider Scottish Lime Centre & HES: Data Driven Approach to Understanding Historic Mortars in Scotland
Technical Paper 32 – A Data Driven Approach to Understanding Historic Mortars in Scotland – has been issued, jointly produced by the Scottish Lime Centre Trust (SLC), which is an IHBC Recognised CPD Provider, and Historic Environment Scotland (HES).
IHBC’s HESPR pick this week: Call for a masterplan etc. for an historic Scottish harbour, closing 17/11
The IHBC’s heritage business register HESPR – our Historic Environment Service Providers Recognition quality assurance scheme for heritage services working to the IHBC’s standards – emails its members weekly ‘News and Tender Alerts’, and the IHBC Director’s top pick this … Continue reading
IHBC’s ‘Out of Context’ CPD boost from Enfield, via Ireland: Participation, heritage and a local plan
The IHBC’s member journal Context, takes Ireland as its theme for Issue 163, but such themed issues also carry more general CPD, and this issue also has Harriet Bell remind us of the origins and importance of public participation in … Continue reading
Robert Jenrick, Secretary of State at England’s Ministry of Housing, Communities & Local Government (MHCLG), has refused planning permission for the highly contentious 20 storey tower plans for Anglia Square in the heart of the medieval city. image: Open Government … Continue reading
HE seeks advisers (including conservation professionals etc.) to inform and influence its future: Conservation, HE & London, closing 22/11
Historic England is seeking advisers with current vacancies including Historic Estate Conservation Committee, Historic England Advisory Committee and the London Advisory Committee, all with 22 November closing dates, and all potentially benefitting from skills based on conservation officer roles to … Continue reading
Cadw’s Legislation and Policy Team has begun work to consolidate the Historic Environment legislation for Wales.
Culture across the country benefits as Lifeline grants from the latest round of the £1.57 billion Culture Recovery Fund will protect a further 162 heritage sites across the country. image: North York Moors Railway for illustration purposes only – Peter … Continue reading
Plans to make every jobbing builder have to pass a test and buy a licence to trade – instigated by the Federation of Master Builders (FMB), have been shelved, reports The Construction Index. image: for illustration purposes only – Open … Continue reading
A £3.5M pledge from the Hamish Ogston Foundation to Historic England (HE) will fund a major in-work training and apprenticeships programme, helping to ensure that the craft and trade skills needed to repair and maintain historic buildings are passed on … Continue reading
IHBC’s November CPD Circular now out: Accessible cross-sector listing, including IHBC’s AGM CPD with Griff Rhys Jones too!
IHBC’s November CPD Circular has been issued, highlighting Continuing Professional Development (CPD) opportunities across the sector, and this month features an IHBC ‘members-only’ free opportunity – our AGM CPD, with a special pre-AGM feature from Griff Rhys Jones.
The IHBC’s heritage business register HESPR – our Historic Environment Service Providers Recognition quality assurance scheme for heritage services – emails members weekly ‘News and Tender Alerts’, with notices from across the development sector’s publications, and this week features the … Continue reading
IHBC features ‘Heritage from the doorstep’: Edinburgh urged to stop building new hotels and ‘reimagine’ a different future
The old Royal High School on Calton Hill has been one of Edinburgh’s most recognisable landmarks for nearly 200 years, reports The Edinburgh News, so the response to the long-awaited ruling from ministers into its proposed £75 million transformation into … Continue reading