Search the archive
IHBC’S NewsBlogs usually only summarise third party reports. Links to other sites may not be active so you may need to contact the host site for the original text.
Unless made explicit, IHBC NewsBlogs are not IHBC endorsements.
- IHBC offers cautious welcome to ‘Levelling-up and Regeneration Bill’ but stresses lack of capacity in delivering locally 14/05/2022
- Free Affiliate Application webinars for IHBC Supporters: Guidance, updates + Q&A, 24/06 & 26/06 14/05/2022
- New IHBC 2022 School CPD resources for ‘Environment & heritage management’ – oil, recycling & more – 17/06 14/05/2022
- Promote your business, service, charity etc. at IHBC’s virtual Heritage MarketPlace, opening #IHBCAberdeen2022 on 15/06, from c.£100+VAT 14/05/2022
- IHBC Signpost: BRE/BEIS project to modernise home energy rating scheme 14/05/2022
- IHBC Signpost: Expert advice pivotal in new-look Historical Railways Estate 14/05/2022
- IHBC’s HESPR ‘Special Interest News’: Griff’s 1st film clip for blended #IHBCAberdeen2022 on 17/06 14/05/2022
- IHBC’s ‘Heritage from the (construction) doorstep’: Planning reform scepticism on levelling-up bill 14/05/2022
- England: ‘How to challenge our decision to list or not list a building’ 14/05/2022
- Vintage train journeys at risk as coal supply fails 14/05/2022
- Good news for #IHBC25: New IHBC governance supported by new Trustee Information Pack 10/05/2022
- Good news for #IHBC25: Interdisciplinary IHBC accreditation recognised by Construction Skills Certification Scheme (CSCS) for Professionally Qualified Person (PQP) cards 10/05/2022
- IHBC’s HESPR ‘Special Interest News’: Docomomo US – ‘11 most threatened modern buildings in America’ 10/05/2022
- IHBC ‘Heritage from the doorstep’: York to try again for UNESCO WHS 10/05/2022
- HES’ Green Recovery Statement: ‘Using Scotland’s Past to Support Our Future’ 10/05/2022
- National Churches Trust Consultation update: Churches in demand, despite growth of digital worship 10/05/2022
- Newport Council to underwrite increased costs to Transporter Bridge transformation project 10/05/2022
- Architects fear Glasgow School of Art rebuild could go to cheapest bidder 10/05/2022
- Feature your business, charity, leadership, learning etc. at IHBC’s virtual Heritage MarketPlace for 6+ months – live and opening #IHBCAberdeen2022 on 15/06, from c.£100+VAT 06/05/2022
- REMINDER: IHBC Wales Branch virtual AGM with free CPD – ‘Conservation updates: IHBC and Cadw’, 11/05 06/05/2022
- IHBC Signpost to Welsh Senedd Research: ‘How can communities save buildings they care about?’ 06/05/2022
- IHBC’s HESPR pick: £650K works as National Park seeks community engagement support, closes 23/05, £27.5K 06/05/2022
- IHBC ‘Heritage from the doorstep’: New lease of life for historic Leeds gem 06/05/2022
- AHF grants for UK’s community-led heritage regeneration projects 06/05/2022
- PLACE Alliance launches Appealing Design – Does design quality carry weight in planning appeals? 06/05/2022
Author Archives: IHBC NewsBlog
IHBC’s latest HESPR registered practice: Artifex Conservation Architects, joins nearly 50 HESPR service providers working to IHBC standards
Artifex Conservation Architects has become the latest company to join the IHBC’s conservation and heritage services ‘HESPR’ quality assurance register, the IHBC’s listing and support service that nears 50 service providers working to IHBC standards.
IHBC’s pre-AGM event is free (IHBC members only; 5.30 on, 03/12), and you can donate to the IHBC CREATIVE Conservation Fund on application… or after, if you missed it!
If lucky enough to be an IHBC member (any category) and able to join the IHBC’s 2020 AGM and free pre-AGM proceedings from 5.30PM on 3 December – with a filmed welcome from Griff Rhys Jones and School updates –you … Continue reading
IHBC’s HESPR ‘Special Interest Sector News’ pick of the week: ‘Chinese ruins transformed into museum’
The IHBC’s heritage business register HESPR – our Historic Environment Service Providers Recognition quality assurance scheme for heritage services – emails members weekly ‘News and Tender Alerts’, with notices from across the development sector’s publications, and this week features Dezeen’s … Continue reading
IHBC features ‘Heritage from the doorstep’: North Staffs sites share in £1.57bn fund for support through pandemic
Ford Green Hall and Middleport Pottery in North Staffordshire are among the heritage organisations to receive funding to support them though pandemic.
The Architectural Heritage Fund (AHF) has invested £10K towards the regeneration of the Mid-Steeple Quarter project in Dumfries, including allowing use ‘as a community space for local groups, for pop-up events and a re-makery shop.’ image: AHF website
The results of the second cross-industry ‘People Survey’, carried out by Build UK on behalf of the Construction Leadership Council (CLC) in September provides an up to date snapshot of the ongoing impact of the coronavirus pandemic on the construction … Continue reading
Ecclesiastical Insurance is giving £120,000 to good causes as part of its annual 12 days of giving Christmas campaign and is inviting people to nominate a registered charity close to their hearts to benefit from this festive financial boost.
Environment charities and funders are ‘stuck in a vicious cycle’ where work is underfunded, leading to less impact and less ability to attract funding, a report has warned. image: for illustration purposes only – Apollo 17/Public Domain
Historic England has launched new education resources created to help primary school teachers engage key stage two pupils in the history of buildings, as part of the Breaking New Ground project supported by the John Laing Charitable Trust.
Potentially valuable Roman artefacts have been recovered from a building site in Barking, Essex.
Voting at IHBC’s 2020 Virtual AGM (03/12)? Vote by proxy even if attending – it can be changed in the AGM – and be sure to ‘help the IHBC move past the pandemic’!
ALL IHBC members with a say at the online AGM on 3 December are called on to vote in advance ‘by proxy’, even if attending – votes during the AGM take precedence, allowing for changed positions – and ‘help the … Continue reading
Serious about your staffing plans or career direction? Stay ahead with ‘IHBC Jobs etc.’ – conservation roles from ‘Placemaking’ in Wales and ‘Design’ with HS1, to urban, regulatory and maritime roles, and much more!
To help heritage and conservation employers and practitioners across the UK, the IHBC regularly updates NewsBlog readers about the diverse career opportunities advertised on our ‘IHBC Jobs etc.’ service, while recent posts cover roles from an insightfully titled ’Placemaking and … Continue reading
IHBC’s LPA Capacity research headlines DBW’s home page: ‘Conservation advice available to local authorities falls 48.7% since 2009; 6% today have none!’
Against news from bodies such as ICE, BRE Trust, CIAT, CIOB, BSRIA etc., the IHBC’s recently launched research into England’s Local Planning Authority (LPA) conservation services has headlined the home page of Designing Buildings Wiki (DBW) – host platform for … Continue reading
IHBC CPD provider Scottish Lime Centre & HES: Data Driven Approach to Understanding Historic Mortars in Scotland
Technical Paper 32 – A Data Driven Approach to Understanding Historic Mortars in Scotland – has been issued, jointly produced by the Scottish Lime Centre Trust (SLC), which is an IHBC Recognised CPD Provider, and Historic Environment Scotland (HES).
IHBC’s HESPR pick this week: Call for a masterplan etc. for an historic Scottish harbour, closing 17/11
The IHBC’s heritage business register HESPR – our Historic Environment Service Providers Recognition quality assurance scheme for heritage services working to the IHBC’s standards – emails its members weekly ‘News and Tender Alerts’, and the IHBC Director’s top pick this … Continue reading
IHBC’s ‘Out of Context’ CPD boost from Enfield, via Ireland: Participation, heritage and a local plan
The IHBC’s member journal Context, takes Ireland as its theme for Issue 163, but such themed issues also carry more general CPD, and this issue also has Harriet Bell remind us of the origins and importance of public participation in … Continue reading
Robert Jenrick, Secretary of State at England’s Ministry of Housing, Communities & Local Government (MHCLG), has refused planning permission for the highly contentious 20 storey tower plans for Anglia Square in the heart of the medieval city. image: Open Government … Continue reading
HE seeks advisers (including conservation professionals etc.) to inform and influence its future: Conservation, HE & London, closing 22/11
Historic England is seeking advisers with current vacancies including Historic Estate Conservation Committee, Historic England Advisory Committee and the London Advisory Committee, all with 22 November closing dates, and all potentially benefitting from skills based on conservation officer roles to … Continue reading
Cadw’s Legislation and Policy Team has begun work to consolidate the Historic Environment legislation for Wales.
Culture across the country benefits as Lifeline grants from the latest round of the £1.57 billion Culture Recovery Fund will protect a further 162 heritage sites across the country. image: North York Moors Railway for illustration purposes only – Peter … Continue reading
Plans to make every jobbing builder have to pass a test and buy a licence to trade – instigated by the Federation of Master Builders (FMB), have been shelved, reports The Construction Index. image: for illustration purposes only – Open … Continue reading
A £3.5M pledge from the Hamish Ogston Foundation to Historic England (HE) will fund a major in-work training and apprenticeships programme, helping to ensure that the craft and trade skills needed to repair and maintain historic buildings are passed on … Continue reading
IHBC’s November CPD Circular now out: Accessible cross-sector listing, including IHBC’s AGM CPD with Griff Rhys Jones too!
IHBC’s November CPD Circular has been issued, highlighting Continuing Professional Development (CPD) opportunities across the sector, and this month features an IHBC ‘members-only’ free opportunity – our AGM CPD, with a special pre-AGM feature from Griff Rhys Jones.
The IHBC’s heritage business register HESPR – our Historic Environment Service Providers Recognition quality assurance scheme for heritage services – emails members weekly ‘News and Tender Alerts’, with notices from across the development sector’s publications, and this week features the … Continue reading
IHBC features ‘Heritage from the doorstep’: Edinburgh urged to stop building new hotels and ‘reimagine’ a different future
The old Royal High School on Calton Hill has been one of Edinburgh’s most recognisable landmarks for nearly 200 years, reports The Edinburgh News, so the response to the long-awaited ruling from ministers into its proposed £75 million transformation into … Continue reading