Search the archive
IHBC’S NewsBlogs usually only summarise third party reports. Links to other sites may not be active so you may need to contact the host site for the original text.
Unless made explicit, IHBC NewsBlogs are not IHBC endorsements.
- Support conservation as a climate solution: Volunteers and hosts for IHBC@COP26’s Zoom ‘Conservation Helpdesk+’ still welcome, with guidance now out 15/10/2021
- IHBC responds to Conservation Principles for North Ireland 15/10/2021
- IHBC’s web resource signpost: Quick links and guidance on joining, accreditation and career progress are only a click away! 15/10/2021
- IHBC’s HESPR pick from £43K+ works this week: Charity seeks architect for GII refurb, valued £43K, closing 22/10 15/10/2021
- IHBC features ‘Heritage from the doorstep’: Gateway to historic town centre re-opened following improvement works, as what ‘WAS’ becomes ‘HAZ’ 15/10/2021
- ARB on ‘Modernising architectural education and training’ 15/10/2021
- Department for Levelling Up etc. (DLUHC) on ‘Our Governance’ and Board 15/10/2021
- RICS sets new standards of conduct 15/10/2021
- Scotland’s new Local Place Plans regulations laid in Parliament 15/10/2021
- Elizabeth Tower conservation set to complete in 2022 15/10/2021
- Serious about your staffing plans or career? Stay ahead with ‘IHBC Jobs etc.’, with posts ranging from conservation architects (x2) and Officers (x7+) and seeking Net Zero (HE), Listing (HE) and sustainability skills 12/10/2021
- New Context out, on ‘Conservation leadership by the people’: From Amenity Societies and Wentworth Woodhouse to Kurt Schwitters, Scotland’s Towns, Chester and more 12/10/2021
- Volunteer virtually with IHBC@COP26 on IHBC’s built and historic environment ‘Conservation Helpdesk+’, – because ‘Conserving our Places Conserves our Planet’ 12/10/2021
- IHBC CPD signpost: Gender-Responsive Public Procurement – Can public procurement help solve gender inequality? 12/10/2021
- IHBC’s HESPR ‘Special Interest Sector News’ pick: Dezeen on the ‘Conference of Trees at COP26’ 12/10/2021
- IHBC features ‘Heritage from the doorstep’: Plans for bridge between Scotland and Northern Ireland scrapped – reports 12/10/2021
- The NCT guide to ‘incredible churches in wild landscapes’, with 200+ churches to visit in UK National Parks 12/10/2021
- Record fine issued to London landlord over planning offence 12/10/2021
- Nearly £60m low carbon growth programme approved for Swansea 12/10/2021
- China vows to curb urban demolitions, preserve cultural heritage 12/10/2021
- IHBC members’ on-line ‘inclusive Council’ invites issued: ‘Join in shaping our activities and plans’ – Wed 13 Oct, 1.30PM on 08/10/2021
- Volunteer virtually with IHBC@COP26 on IHBC’s built and historic environment ‘Conservation Helpdesk+’, – because ‘Conserving our Places Conserves our Planet’ 08/10/2021
- IHBC’s HESPR pick from £145K+ works this week: BC seeks governance etc. consultants on heritage project, valued to £25K, closing 25/10 08/10/2021
- IHBC features ‘Heritage from the cemetery’s step’: Paris Court Rules Brancusi’s ‘Kiss’ to stay 08/10/2021
- Boris Johnson pledges no homes will be built on green fields 08/10/2021
Monthly Archives: September 2021
IHBC’s latest ‘Membership Matters’ update out now – On plans and achievements, looking back on 2020, and ahead to 2022
IHBC’s latest issue of Membership Matters update from the IHBC’s Board and National Office outlines support for the pandemic recovery across our Branch and voluntary network and how we plan to test the infrastructure for our new governance.
IHBC STUDENT SUPPORT: Don’t forget the IHBC’s free, first-timer ‘taster’ membership for students on Recognised Conservation Courses
The IHBC offers free one-year, first-timer ‘taster’ memberships to students on IHBC Recognised Conservation Courses so simply REGISTER ONLINE HERE (T&C apply).
IHBC’s HESPR ‘Special Interest Sector News’ pick: IHBC on COP26 opportunities… because ‘Conserving our Places Conserves our Planet’
The IHBC’s heritage business register HESPR – our Historic Environment Service Providers Recognition quality assurance scheme for heritage services – emails members weekly ‘News and Tender Alerts’, and this week features the IHBC on the chance to contribute to COP26, … Continue reading
IHBC features ‘Heritage from the doorstep’: Giant Glasgow gas holder near Ibrox stadium to be demolished
Historic gas holders are being dismantled around the UK and a landmark west Glasgow gas holder close to Ibrox stadium is set to be demolished.
The Welsh government has confirmed that £5m of loan funding will be made available to support the regeneration of town centres.
Designing Buildings Wiki (DBW) – host platform for the IHBC’s Conservation Wiki – reports on the government announcement that the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government (MHCLG) would be renamed the Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities, with … Continue reading
Inclusion Week 2021 will take place from 27 September – 3 October, and is designed to celebrate everyday inclusion in all its forms, with organisations from across the globe celebrating, sharing and inspiring inclusion practices.
Headline scheme rules for the Live Events Reinsurance Scheme have been published by Department for Digital, Culture Medial and Sport (DCMS).
The Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) has announced the 54 winners of the 2021 RIBA National Awards for architecture, to recognise the UK’s best new buildings and provide an insight into the UK’s design and economic trends.
Throughout history, paper records have been lost to fire, flood or deterioration, but a project is under way to digitally map the graves in 19,000 Church of England graveyards so the records will be protected.
IHBC’s HESPR network of conservation practices offers free help with heritage queries, as HESPR’s ‘15 minutes free advice’ is launched formally
The HESPR ‘15 minutes free advice’ service offers 15 minutes of free expert advice and guidance from conservation practices recognised through the IHBC’s HESPR register of commercial conservation practices.
LAST CHANCE – IHBC ‘CPD Priority’ programme virtual event: Ian Hume on ‘Conservation Engineering’, 28-29 September, from £20 for members, with bursaries too!
A new on-line IHBC ‘CPD Priority programme’ event on ‘Conservation Engineering’ with Ian Hume is planned for 28-29 September, with fees from £20.
The DASH (Digital Attitudes and Skills for Heritage) Survey 2021 has now launched a survey funded by the National Lottery Heritage Fund (NLHF) to support UK heritage organisations and closing on 7 November.
IHBC’s HESPR pick from £118M+ works this week: Housing Association announces framework with ‘meanwhile uses’, closing 15/10, valued from £2.5M
The IHBC’s heritage business register HESPR – our Historic Environment Service Providers Recognition quality assurance service – emails members weekly ‘News and Tender Alerts’, and the Director’s pick this week features the announcement by a Housing Association of a framework … Continue reading
IHBC features ‘Heritage from the doorstep’: The Dorman Long tower, a recent local history ‘… after mayor wins fight to remove listed status’
Tees Valley Mayor Ben Houchen has successfully appealed to new Culture Secretary Nadine Dorries to axe protected status for what he said was a ‘rotting coal bunker’, as reported by TeesideLive before the demolition.
IHBC@COP26 features ‘Climate from the engineers’ doorstep’: Climate backlash as Stonehenge and Lower Thames Crossing top construction pipeline
The government has been accused of making a mockery of its own net zero carbon emissions targets by including billions of pounds worth of road contracts in its 10 year construction pipeline.
A 1950s tower which had its last-minute Grade II listing revoked so it could be flattened merited the status, Historic England has reiterated.
Britain’s top engineers are urging the government to stop buildings being demolished, as the co-Author of a new report steered by the Royal Academy of Engineering, Prof. Rebecca Lunn concluded that: ‘Our biggest failure is that we build buildings, then … Continue reading
Historic England’s CE talks collaboration, sustainability and how HE aiding the Build Back Better agenda
Historic England’s Chief Executive (CE) Duncan Wilson in an interview with the UK Real Estate Investment and Infrastructure Forum (UKREIIF) has spoken about the crucial role of historic buildings in the Build Back Better and Net Zero Agendas. image: for … Continue reading
The Museum Freelance is delighted to announced that they have secured funding to provide 28 grants of £500 for freelancers who work with museums, heritage sites, galleries, archives and libraries in the UK to use for their Continuous Professional Development … Continue reading
IHBC Update from the BCC: Fully funded trade and craft courses – New flier on up to 20 places now out
The Building Crafts College in Stratford has secured funding for up to 20 places across 2 Diploma courses – in Bench Joinery and Stonemasonry – with a new flier now out detailing these exceptional opportunities.
The AHRC has opened a new grant programme for UK researchers, who can apply to lead a one-year knowledge exchange project that will bring arts and humanities research to local and regional decision makers with an £800,000 and a maximum … Continue reading
The National Trust is seeking to recruit a new Chair of its Board of Trustees, with the ideal candidate someone who will bring different experiences and new ideas together with the skills and talent to Chair the Board and Council.
IHBC’s SE Branch – and 2020 Brighton School hosts – launches AGM and conference: In-person AND digital access, on ‘Seaside Towns… the Hastings approach’, 15/10
The IHBC’s South East (SE) Branch is hosting its own annual conference school on ‘Seaside Towns… the Hastings approach to revitalising historic coastal towns’ to in-person and digital audiences, with all welcome, on 15 October and in Hastings, with digital … Continue reading
REMINDER: IHBC@COP26? Because ‘Conserving our Places Conserves our Planet’ – Join IHBC’s globally accessible virtual built and historic environment ‘Conservation Helpdesk+’, #IHBCHelpdesk #CultureCOP26 – open 31/10 to 12/11
The Institute of Historic Building Conservation (IHBC) – the UK’s professional body for built and historic environment conservation – will host a virtual IHBC@COP26 ‘Conservation Helpdesk+’ across the COP26 programme, offering IHBC and partners’ advice and learning to the global network on … Continue reading