Search the archive
IHBC’S NewsBlogs usually only summarise third party reports. Links to other sites may not be active so you may need to contact the host site for the original text.
Unless made explicit, IHBC NewsBlogs are not IHBC endorsements.
- IHBC trustee nominations close with AGM booking & proxy voting now open: 6PM, 24 February, after Council; AGM papers to come 21/01/2022
- UPDATE: IHBC looks to the future with new ‘Affiliate’ arrangements offering improved support for all: ONLY the name changes – to ‘Supporter’ – for those seeking status quo 21/01/2022
- REMINDER: IHBC Marsh Awards 2022 launched: ‘Your chance to nominate retired IHBC members and/or successful learners’, closing 31 March 21/01/2022
- IHBC’s HESPR pick from £20M+ works this week: BPT partnership seeks PM for NLHF projects, closing 11/02 21/01/2022
- IHBC features ‘Heritage from the doorstep’: Emmeline Pankhurst’s GII grave dubbed ‘national disgrace’ after it’s left filthy and chipped 21/01/2022
- New Chair appointed to Historic Environment Scotland: Hugh Hall 21/01/2022
- Housing crisis needs action on planning, SMEs and housing for elderly, says Lords report 21/01/2022
- New report highlights the impact of retrofit programmes on social housing customers 21/01/2022
- A clever map tool will tell you facts about (basically) any street or building, via Wikipedia! 21/01/2022
- IHBC welcomes STBA Paper: ‘From Retrofit to Regeneration’ published 18/01/2022
- CCT CE Peter Aiers IHBC announces move to The Charterhouse 18/01/2022
- IHBC’s HESPR ‘Special Interest Sector News’: Building’s top news for 2021 18/01/2022
- IHBC Marsh Awards 2022 launched: ‘Your chance to nominate retired IHBC members and/or successful learners’, closing 31 March 18/01/2022
- IHBC features ‘Heritage from the (civil) doorstep’: Inspector allows Southgate Office Village Scheme on appeal, despite engagement campaign 18/01/2022
- Targeted funds of £65 million for Scotland’s culture and events to help ease impact of pandemic 18/01/2022
- Plans unveiled to restore 300,000 hectares of habitat across England 18/01/2022
- Building collapses after foundation blunders 18/01/2022
- New digital model of Skara Brae helps investigate impacts of climate change 18/01/2022
- Top 20 new articles in 2021 from DB announced 18/01/2022
- Serious about your staffing plans or career? Get your ‘Heads Up’ with ‘IHBC Jobs etc.’ as we headline career-defining posts – across sectors and disciplines – so sign up now! 14/01/2022
- IHBC congratulates IHBC Member Darren Barker on MBE 14/01/2022
- REMINDER: IHBC looks to the future with new ‘Affiliate’ arrangements: Improved support for all, and ONLY the name changes for those seeking status quo 14/01/2022
- IHBC welcomes Civic Voice’s ‘Paper Tigers’: A critical review of Statements of Community Involvement in England 14/01/2022
- IHBC’s HESPR pick from £2.3M+ works this week: Council seeks heritage strategy draft review, closing 11/02, valued to £12K 14/01/2022
- IHBC features ‘Heritage from the doorstep’: Chard Leisure Centre eyesore may remain until spring 14/01/2022
Monthly Archives: September 2021
IHBC’s latest ‘Membership Matters’ update out now – On plans and achievements, looking back on 2020, and ahead to 2022
IHBC’s latest issue of Membership Matters update from the IHBC’s Board and National Office outlines support for the pandemic recovery across our Branch and voluntary network and how we plan to test the infrastructure for our new governance.
IHBC STUDENT SUPPORT: Don’t forget the IHBC’s free, first-timer ‘taster’ membership for students on Recognised Conservation Courses
The IHBC offers free one-year, first-timer ‘taster’ memberships to students on IHBC Recognised Conservation Courses so simply REGISTER ONLINE HERE (T&C apply).
IHBC’s HESPR ‘Special Interest Sector News’ pick: IHBC on COP26 opportunities… because ‘Conserving our Places Conserves our Planet’
The IHBC’s heritage business register HESPR – our Historic Environment Service Providers Recognition quality assurance scheme for heritage services – emails members weekly ‘News and Tender Alerts’, and this week features the IHBC on the chance to contribute to COP26, … Continue reading
IHBC features ‘Heritage from the doorstep’: Giant Glasgow gas holder near Ibrox stadium to be demolished
Historic gas holders are being dismantled around the UK and a landmark west Glasgow gas holder close to Ibrox stadium is set to be demolished.
The Welsh government has confirmed that £5m of loan funding will be made available to support the regeneration of town centres.
Designing Buildings Wiki (DBW) – host platform for the IHBC’s Conservation Wiki – reports on the government announcement that the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government (MHCLG) would be renamed the Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities, with … Continue reading
Inclusion Week 2021 will take place from 27 September – 3 October, and is designed to celebrate everyday inclusion in all its forms, with organisations from across the globe celebrating, sharing and inspiring inclusion practices.
Headline scheme rules for the Live Events Reinsurance Scheme have been published by Department for Digital, Culture Medial and Sport (DCMS).
The Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) has announced the 54 winners of the 2021 RIBA National Awards for architecture, to recognise the UK’s best new buildings and provide an insight into the UK’s design and economic trends.
Throughout history, paper records have been lost to fire, flood or deterioration, but a project is under way to digitally map the graves in 19,000 Church of England graveyards so the records will be protected.
IHBC’s HESPR network of conservation practices offers free help with heritage queries, as HESPR’s ‘15 minutes free advice’ is launched formally
The HESPR ‘15 minutes free advice’ service offers 15 minutes of free expert advice and guidance from conservation practices recognised through the IHBC’s HESPR register of commercial conservation practices.
LAST CHANCE – IHBC ‘CPD Priority’ programme virtual event: Ian Hume on ‘Conservation Engineering’, 28-29 September, from £20 for members, with bursaries too!
A new on-line IHBC ‘CPD Priority programme’ event on ‘Conservation Engineering’ with Ian Hume is planned for 28-29 September, with fees from £20.
The DASH (Digital Attitudes and Skills for Heritage) Survey 2021 has now launched a survey funded by the National Lottery Heritage Fund (NLHF) to support UK heritage organisations and closing on 7 November.
IHBC’s HESPR pick from £118M+ works this week: Housing Association announces framework with ‘meanwhile uses’, closing 15/10, valued from £2.5M
The IHBC’s heritage business register HESPR – our Historic Environment Service Providers Recognition quality assurance service – emails members weekly ‘News and Tender Alerts’, and the Director’s pick this week features the announcement by a Housing Association of a framework … Continue reading
IHBC features ‘Heritage from the doorstep’: The Dorman Long tower, a recent local history ‘… after mayor wins fight to remove listed status’
Tees Valley Mayor Ben Houchen has successfully appealed to new Culture Secretary Nadine Dorries to axe protected status for what he said was a ‘rotting coal bunker’, as reported by TeesideLive before the demolition.
IHBC@COP26 features ‘Climate from the engineers’ doorstep’: Climate backlash as Stonehenge and Lower Thames Crossing top construction pipeline
The government has been accused of making a mockery of its own net zero carbon emissions targets by including billions of pounds worth of road contracts in its 10 year construction pipeline.
A 1950s tower which had its last-minute Grade II listing revoked so it could be flattened merited the status, Historic England has reiterated.
Britain’s top engineers are urging the government to stop buildings being demolished, as the co-Author of a new report steered by the Royal Academy of Engineering, Prof. Rebecca Lunn concluded that: ‘Our biggest failure is that we build buildings, then … Continue reading
Historic England’s CE talks collaboration, sustainability and how HE aiding the Build Back Better agenda
Historic England’s Chief Executive (CE) Duncan Wilson in an interview with the UK Real Estate Investment and Infrastructure Forum (UKREIIF) has spoken about the crucial role of historic buildings in the Build Back Better and Net Zero Agendas. image: for … Continue reading
The Museum Freelance is delighted to announced that they have secured funding to provide 28 grants of £500 for freelancers who work with museums, heritage sites, galleries, archives and libraries in the UK to use for their Continuous Professional Development … Continue reading
IHBC Update from the BCC: Fully funded trade and craft courses – New flier on up to 20 places now out
The Building Crafts College in Stratford has secured funding for up to 20 places across 2 Diploma courses – in Bench Joinery and Stonemasonry – with a new flier now out detailing these exceptional opportunities.
The AHRC has opened a new grant programme for UK researchers, who can apply to lead a one-year knowledge exchange project that will bring arts and humanities research to local and regional decision makers with an £800,000 and a maximum … Continue reading
The National Trust is seeking to recruit a new Chair of its Board of Trustees, with the ideal candidate someone who will bring different experiences and new ideas together with the skills and talent to Chair the Board and Council.
IHBC’s SE Branch – and 2020 Brighton School hosts – launches AGM and conference: In-person AND digital access, on ‘Seaside Towns… the Hastings approach’, 15/10
The IHBC’s South East (SE) Branch is hosting its own annual conference school on ‘Seaside Towns… the Hastings approach to revitalising historic coastal towns’ to in-person and digital audiences, with all welcome, on 15 October and in Hastings, with digital … Continue reading
REMINDER: IHBC@COP26? Because ‘Conserving our Places Conserves our Planet’ – Join IHBC’s globally accessible virtual built and historic environment ‘Conservation Helpdesk+’, #IHBCHelpdesk #CultureCOP26 – open 31/10 to 12/11
The Institute of Historic Building Conservation (IHBC) – the UK’s professional body for built and historic environment conservation – will host a virtual IHBC@COP26 ‘Conservation Helpdesk+’ across the COP26 programme, offering IHBC and partners’ advice and learning to the global network on … Continue reading