Search the archive
IHBC’S NewsBlogs usually only summarise third party reports. Links to other sites may not be active so you may need to contact the host site for the original text.
Unless made explicit, IHBC NewsBlogs are not IHBC endorsements.
- Protected: DRAFT: IHBC@COP26: ‘Conserving our Places Conserves our Planet’ – IHBC’s globally accessible virtual built and historic environment ‘Conservation Helpdesk+’, open 31/10 to 12/11 16/09/2021
- IHBC’s web resource signpost: Quick links on learning and CPD, only a click away from our Home Page 14/09/2021
- IHBC’s cross-disciplinary signpost ‘… From the factor’s doorstep’: Revised property factors’ code of conduct for Scotland 14/09/2021
- IHBC’s HESPR ‘Special Interest Sector News’ pick: Dezeen on ‘The Phoenix Garden’ 14/09/2021
- IHBC features ‘Heritage from the doorstep’: Royal High School Edinburgh set to become ‘world-class centre for music’ 14/09/2021
- MCT name change: ‘Marsh Charitable Trust’, partners in the IHBC Marsh Awards 14/09/2021
- Record 20 places bid for prestigious UK City of Culture 2025 title 14/09/2021
- Local government, climate change and the environment 14/09/2021
- 10 jobs that will help shape a zero-emissions future 14/09/2021
- REMINDER – New IHBC ‘CPD Priority’ programme virtual event: Ian Hume on ‘Conservation Engineering’, 28-29 September, from £20 for members, with bursaries too! 10/09/2021
- IHBC responds to suite of energy efficiency consultations as changes proposed to traditionally built homes ramp up: ECO4; PAS 2035 etc. 10/09/2021
- IHBC’s Research Signpost: BEIS calls for evidence to substantially reduce research bureaucracy, closing 01/10 10/09/2021
- IHBC’s HESPR pick from £25M+ costed works this week: DC seeks consultant for town hall works, closing 29/09 and valued up to £100K 10/09/2021
- IHBC features ‘Heritage from the doorstep’: Fears over the future of historic Brighton shul 10/09/2021
- Contribute a European dimension to ‘Good Urbanism Principles’ survey by 2021 MarketPlace stallholders HSI/PlaceEconomics 10/09/2021
- RICS Publishes Independent Review – Accepts All Recommendations 10/09/2021
- Dragons’ Den for young professionals in construction, £1000, closing 28/09 10/09/2021
- New research reveals cathedrals’ contribution to local economies & communities 10/09/2021
- National Trust adapts Oxburgh Hall’s roof tiles for bats 10/09/2021
- IHBC’s September CPD Circular now out: Accessible cross-sector support, with free sign up/events listings! 07/09/2021
- IHBC’s CPD signpost: Why not add to DBW’s list of construction industry ‘traditions, superstitions, pseudoscience & obsolete scientific theories’ 07/09/2021
- IHBC’s ‘IMHO’ Signpost: Valuing Victorian church architecture 07/09/2021
- IHBC’s HESPR ‘Special Interest Sector News’ pick: ArchDaily on ‘Mallorca’s abandoned buildings’. 07/09/2021
- IHBC features ‘Heritage from the WHS’s doorstep’: Height reduced at Edinburgh concert venue with work poised to begin next year 07/09/2021
- IHBC features ‘Heritage from the ‘Doors Open’ doorstep’ 3: England’s HODs – ‘England’s largest festival of history and culture!’…10-19/09 07/09/2021
Daily Archives: 25/06/2021
The latest issue of the IHBC membership journal Context is out, featuring the usual mix of the topical and the practical as we explore ‘Applying Digital Technology’, with familiar features and occasional nuggets: shrines in Germany; memorialising in Manchester, and … Continue reading
Enjoy IHBC’s Brighton 2021 & longing for the videos? Pass the time prepping for Aberdeen 2022… on Youtube!
The IHBC’s 2022 Annual School will take place in Aberdeen and online over 16-18 June, with the theme ‘Heritage on the Edge’, and explore issues around Environment, Innovation and Regeneration, and its promotional video is now available publicly. …Heritage on … Continue reading
IHBC’s Gus Astley Student Awards 2021: Check out the testimonials – closing 31 July, £500 + free IHBC 2022 School place!
The IHBC’s annual Gus Astley Student Award celebrates relevant coursework from ANY UK taught course – history, planning, design and more – from the last 2 academic years, so just submit coursework online by end July for a chance to … Continue reading
IHBC’s climate signpost: CHN seeks strategies advancing climate action with sustainable development: Closing 7/07
The Climate Heritage Network (CHN) is calling for examples of strategies ‘that advance both climate action and sustainable development’, closing 7 July.
Stockport Heritage Trust is appealing to IHBC members to hear of any listed public libraries in their towns and cities that are being retained and improved, rather than closed and services moved to new or other buildings. image: 38DEGREES – … Continue reading
IHBC’s HESPR weekly pick from £2.9M+ costed works: BC seeks ’appropriately skilled’ architect for conservation work valued up to £95K+, closing 07 July.
The IHBC’s heritage business register HESPR – our Historic Environment Service Providers Recognition quality assurance for heritage services – emails members weekly ‘News and Tender Alerts’, and the Director’s pick this week features the call from an English Borough Council … Continue reading
IHBC’s features ‘Heritage from the (engineers’) doorstep’: Reparations sought in Highways England bridge row as 24 historic railway structures face demolition or infilling
Two heritage railways in Cumbria, whose plans to unite have been thrown into doubt by Highways England’s aggressive infilling of an historic railway bridge, have asked the company to undo the work or fund the structure’s excavation and repair, while … Continue reading
The new Welsh Government’s 5-year plan shows how it will deliver on the promises made to voters during the Senedd 2021 election and how it will tackle the big challenges faced in Wales.
The Houses of Parliament Restoration and Renewal Programme is encouraging all to get involved with the works planned for one of the most loved and recognised buildings in the world.
Nearly 30 figures from politics, football and academia have signed a letter urging Unesco not to strip Liverpool of its World Heritage status. image: for illustration purposes only
Construction Skills Certification Scheme (CSCS) updates on the introduction of the Traineeship Skills Development Programme and T Level qualifications and its introduction of the Industry Placement Card, for learners aged sixteen (or above).
Applications open for incentive payments for employers who hire a new apprentice between 1 April 2021 and 30 September 2021. image: for illustration purposes only – Open Government Licence v3.0
They look like stone igloos and might be described as Irish-style saunas. Sweathouses were popular in the 1700s but their use died out towards the end of the 1800s and into the 20th century with the advancement of rural dispensaries.